"Here at SciShow, we hate not knowing things."
is one of the Web Video Edutainment Shows
hosted and created by Hank Green
, known for being the younger half of the Vlogbrothers
The show is divided up into different sections. "Infusion" talks about such popular topics as solar energy and climate change in great detail. "Dose" is a section of quick videos of obscure topics, such as Tardigrades and Foldit gamers. "News" is a weekly section devoted to quick news stories that have happened recently. "Breaking" is devoted to one breaking news story.
channel called SciShow Space has been launched in April 2014. It has three rotating hosts: Hank Green, Reid Reimers, and Caitlin Hoffmeister. The channel focuses on astronomy and other space-related information and news updates.
The SciShow channel can be found here
. The SciShow Space channel can be found here
This show provides examples of:
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Hank regularly adjusts his (rather nerdy) glasses in the nerdy "by the corner" manner.
- April Fools' Day: 2013 gave us "The Retro-Proto-Turbo-Encabulator", in which Hanks speaks almost entirely in Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness and Techno Babble. Lots and lots of technobabble.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Some pseudo-scientists, authors, and TV people want to convince everyone that on Dec. 21, 2012, "the earth is going to split in two, or the poles are going to shift, or house cats are going to rise up against us and make us poop in boxes of sand!"
- Blatant Lies: Nano scientists are tiny, tiny scientists.
- Breakout Character: Jessi Knudsen-Casta˝eda of Animal Wonders, who got her own full-fledged YouTube show produced by Hank.
- Catch Phrase: "We hope you learned something."
- Evil Laugh: In the episode on lying, Hank ended with an assurance that he was a terrible liar... or was he? Mwuhahahahaha!
- Helium Speech: In the episode on helium.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Averted, with SciShow focusing on science news and ideas Hank Green finds cool. Part of what makes it work is Hank's obvious enthusiasm.
- Proud To Be A Nerd: Hank.
- In the Tardigrades episode, when Hank says that the ESA's "Tardigrades In Space" program was shortened to "Tardis", an animation of the TARDIS is shown.
- The Dose episode "Tatooine?" begins with a reference to Star Wars.
- You Keep Using That Word: They now have a segment devoted to this subject in terms of scientific terms. It is called "I Don't Think That Means What You Think It Means."