"Here at SciShow, we hate not knowing things."SciShow is one of the Web Video Edutainment Shows hosted and created by Hank Green, known for being the younger half of the Vlogbrothers.The show is divided up into different sections. "Infusion" talks about such popular topics as solar energy and climate change in great detail. "Dose" is a section of quick videos of obscure topics, such as Tardigrades and Foldit gamers. "News" is a weekly section devoted to quick news stories that have happened recently. "Breaking" is devoted to one breaking news story.It's spawned two spinoff channels. SciShow Space, launched in April 2014, has three rotating hosts: Hank Green, Reid Reimers, and Caitlin Hoffmeister, and focuses on astronomy and other space-related information and news updates. SciShow Kids, launched in March 2015 as part of YouTube Kids, is hosted by Jessi Knudsen-Castañeda of Animal Wonders fame and features various kid-friendly topics with a particular focus on life science.The SciShow channel can be found here. The SciShow Space channel can be found here.
— Hank Green
This show provides examples of:
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Hank regularly adjusts his (rather nerdy) glasses in the nerdy "by the corner" manner.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Vinyl Alcohol, talking about Sagittarius B2, a molecular cloud containing it.
- April Fools' Day: 2013 gave us "The Retro-Proto-Turbo-Encabulator", in which Hanks speaks almost entirely in Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness and Techno Babble. Lots and lots of technobabble.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Some pseudo-scientists, authors, and TV people want to convince everyone that on Dec. 21, 2012, "the earth is going to split in two, or the poles are going to shift, or house cats are going to rise up against us and make us poop in boxes of sand!"
- Blatant Lies: Nano scientists are tiny, tiny scientists.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In this video, Hank's tips to avoid viruses are "But you can avoid most of them as long as you don't open sketchy emails, download weird files, or try to create a nuclear enrichment program."
- Breakout Character: Jessi Knudsen-Castañeda of Animal Wonders, who got her own full-fledged YouTube show produced by Hank.
- Catch Phrase: "We hope you learned something."
- Evil Laugh: In the episode on lying, Hank ended with an assurance that he was a terrible liar... or was he? Mwuhahahahaha!
- Helium Speech: In the episode on helium.
- Mad Lib Thriller Title: In a SciShow Talk Show about Project MINERVA, Hank lampshades that "The Minerva Project" would have probably sounded too much like the title of a new X-Men movie.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Averted, with SciShow focusing on science news and ideas Hank Green finds cool. Part of what makes it work is Hank's obvious enthusiasm.
- Porn Names: Apparently, Hank's stripper name is "Tharsis Bulge".
- Proud To Be A Nerd: Hank.
- You Keep Using That Word: They now have a segment devoted to this subject in terms of scientific terms. It is called "I Don't Think That Means What You Think It Means."
- One of which is Schrödinger's Cat.