"I don't believe in your tears, Pepe!"Palomita
was a very popular Chilean comic strip created by the late cartoonist Eduardo de La Barra. It was published in the Chilean daily tabloid "La Cuarta" from November 13th (1984) until November 28th (2013)
The strip was famous for it's ingenious mix of quick jokes, chained puns and satirical humor (De La Barra's trademarked style) but mostly for the generous amount of nudity displayed at a regular basis, always presented in a way that avoided any kind of vulgarity.
The strip’s main protagonist is a sexy, well meaning and naïve (but not stupid) 22-year old blonde girl nicknamed “Palomita” (Little Dove) and revolved around her daily escapades involving her liberal lifestyle and the troubles it used to cause her at her job, or with her relationship with boyfriends, lovers and neighbors alike, as she liked to practice free love and nudism, while her natural naivety used to get the best out of her half of time.
Every Saturday, the newspaper included a fun and games supplement called “Hachita y Cuarta” featuring puzzles, games, trivia and short comics, which included a longer Palomita story. During that day, she didn’t appeared in her usual newspaper’s strip.
The co-protagonist was Palomita’s skinny guardian dog, named “Platón” (Plato) who’s comments and reactions to his owner’s lifestyle made the core for the strip’s punchlines. Platón also used to take over the comic strip every Saturday , while his master’s adventures were displayed in the “Hachita y Cuarta” supplement. His solo strips gave him a cat partner, where both animals commented the country’s current issues and gossips.
Eduardo De La Barra died on November 10th of 2013 at the age of 71, after a long battle with cancer. Two weeks later, his comic strip was removed from the newspaper.
This work contains the following tropes.
- Action Girl: When she wasn't chasing men (or being chased herself) Palomita used to engage in sports like mountain climbing, free diving, acrobatic gym, hunting and such. She also packed a considerable wallop, much for her stalker's surprise.
- Aesop Amnesia: Palomita never learns to lock doors and windows before stripping and bathing, keeps falling for slick guy's promises, always wears tiny bathing suits than never stay in place, always goes for nude sunbathing/nude swimming without checking her surroundings first, etc. Her dog used to lampshade this now and then.
- All Men Are Perverts: The strip's main source of Palomita's anger. Ironically, she could get even angrier when this trope was not played.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Played straight during the first years of the strip, since it was born during a military dictatorship. Averted since then, as De La Barra added detailed nipples to Palomita's design.
- Barely-There Swimwear: Palomita was fond of wearing these to showoff her curvy figure.
- Best Knownforthe Fanservice: The comic had an unique art style, used clever wordplays, had genuinely funny punchlines and often went out of it's way to remind the readers that Palomita was not your typical dumb, defenseless blonde. Yet, the strip was mostly known by the protagonist's generous, detailed nudity which bordered on softcore at times.
- Big Breast Pride:
- Buxom Is Better: Many strips were written around this trope, like for example, Palomita flashing a breast to get the immediat attention from a waiter on a very crowded restaurant.
- Casanova Wannabe: Played straight and some times inverted when Palomita gave them a chance and discovered the slimy guys were indeed, true beasts in bed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Platón, full stop.
- Palomita had her moments too, especially when she was talking with her female friends and workmates.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Palomita's habitual clothing style, strongly based on 1970's mini dresses fad and with the predictable effects whenever she leanded forward.
- Double Entendre: Well, it is an erotic comic strip so this was a given.
- Dumb Blonde: Zigzaged. Palomita was naive, easy to fool and a very bad driver, but she was definitely not stupid, was very competent at her jobs and frequently could see straight through her suitors' lewd intentions.
- Everyone Loves Blondes
- Fan Disservice: Most of Palomita's boyfriends and stalkers are fat, balding middle-aged men, usually drawn in strips with them wearing little or no clothes at all.
- Fanservice: The protagonist is frequently shown in her full naked glory.
- Friends with Benefits: This was played for both sides.
- Give Geeks a Chance: The comic used this trope as a mixed bag. Sometimes it paid off, other times it didn't.
- Good Bad Girl. Promiscuous? Yes. Prone to cheat her current boyfriend with several men at once? Yes. Friendly, sociable and ready to jump to go help any person or animal in need? Check.
- Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen: One of the strip's running gags, as Palomita was fond of swimming nude in places where she really shouldn't.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Sexual promiscuity aside, Palomita was a really nice, helpful and friendly young woman, at the point that her image was used more than once to rally people to help Chilean fellows after natural disasters hit their homeland.
- Heroic Dog: Averted. Platón never defended his owner from the endless men stalking her.
- Hurricane of Puns: The strip's main source of punchlines and the reason why it's virtually impossible to translate into different languages.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Usually invoked to get some special attention or to get herself out from a problem. Most of times, this worked like a charm.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: Averted during the strip's first years, since originally Palomita had a chubbier, shorter frame. Played straight after a few years of Art Evolution.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: The comic strip was removed from the newspaper after De La Barra's death. If you didn't scanned the printed comic strip or downloaded it from the newspaper's website when it was still being published, you have no way to read it anymore.
- Kavorka Man: Many of Palomita's boyfriends and lovers played this trope.
- Long Runners: It ran from 1984 to 2013.
- Meaningful Name: "Palomita" is an old Chilean slang to the 1970's which refers to young and sexually liberated women. Platón is spanish for "Plato", which fits the dog's calm and philosophical nature.
- Ms. Fanservice: Palomita was purposely drawn prettier, younger and curvier than any other women on the strip.
- Naughty Birdwatching: Played when Palomita was undressing and showering, but mostly played when she was skinny dipping on places she thought nobody was looking at.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Platón the dog is this to Palomita. Platón also had his own sidekick in the form of a patient, unnamed cat.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Platón is a very skinny dog with a long, gangly neck, tail and legs... connected to a very small torso. Taken even further after a few years of art evolution, as his torso completely vanished, leaving him as a mere head with his legs and tail all connecting together at the end of his neck. And no, his unique design is not shared by any other dogs seen in the comic strip.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Palomita" is only a nickname. The comic never revealed the protagonist's real name.
- Outdoor Bath Peeping: Palomita loved to explore the countryside for ponds and lakes for her nude swimming hobby. Those places were always more guarded than how she thought.
- Out with a Bang: The ultimate fate of several of Palomita's lovers, especially the oldest ones.
- Playing Hard to Get: Played with. Many strips begin with a close up of Palomita's face, firmly rejecting the advances of a man... followed by a wide panel showing how the scene is happening while she's taking a shower (in front of him) or with both of them in bed, naked and ready for a third round.
- Progressively Prettier: Originally, Palomita looked like a pretty, yet slighty chubby girl on her late teens. She grew in height, bust size and gained a narrower waist, plus a much more toned body after the comic strip began piling up years.
- Really Gets Around: Well, it's a comic strip about a young girl's sexcapades. Palomita hs shared her bed with young men on their late teens, men old enough to be her gran-grandpa and even Santa Claus.
- In fact, the last comic strip published before De La Barra's death was about Palomita's wild night with Superman, which explained why he didn't had his trademarked red underwear in his lastest movie. (He forgot it in her bedroom.)
- Sex Is Good: This was Palomita's motto. Her countless boyfriends all agreed with her.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Besides of her trademarked mini dresses, Palomita liked to practice nudism and nude swimming/sunbathing whenever she could, with the predictable results around her.
- Skinny Dipping: One of the strip's running gags, as Palomita really liked to swim in the nude. According to her, it gave her an incredible feeling of freedom, which was often the setup for a punchine involving the police arresting her for indecent exposure or for trespassing into private land to dip in a stream, pond or lake.
- Slippery Swimsuit: A running gag during summer time strips. Some times this happened entirely by accident, other times Palomita's boyfriends or bystanders helped to make it happen.
- Take That: De La Barra used the comic strip to voice his personal opinion about fellow cartoonists, politic issues and self proclaimed "stars" from the entertainment business. (De La Barra had a long historial of working in funny political humor magazines.)
- Thanks for the Mammary
- The Peeping Tom: Every time Palomita was undressing, bathing or even modeling for an artist. She was also fond of doing that to atractive men now and then, though.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: All the time.
- What Does She See in Him?: Invoked by Palomita's female friends whenever they saw her dating some ugly man. Usually, the answer involved the guy's skills between the bedsheets.
- Why Do You Keepchanging Jobs: Palomita has been an elementary school teacher, a saleswoman, a nurse, a waitress, a secretary, an adult film actress, and a long etc. The strip explained it as the direct consequences of Palomita having affairs with her current boss and being caught by his irate wife.