A character subpage for the WarCraft universe, including World of Warcraft
. For the main character page, see here
Also known as the Alliance of Lordaeron or the Grand Alliance, the Alliance was a combined front against the invading orcish Horde, involving the peoples of the seven human kingdoms, the dwarves and gnomes of Khaz Modan, and the high elven kingdom of Quel'Thalas. The Alliance successfully drove the orcish Horde back through the Dark Portal in the Second War but split up by the time the Third War rolled around due to infighting and political turmoil among other problems
, leaving several member factions broken or completely destroyed.
In World of Warcraft
, the Alliance initially consists of Stormwind, Theramore, Ironforge, Gnomeregan and Darnassus, as well as the remnants of Stromgarde, the exiled high elves of Quel'Thalas, and presumably the so far unseen Kul Tiras. It is later on in The Burning Crusade
joined by the draenei of the Exodar and in Cataclysm
by the now worgen kingdom of Gilneas. In Mists of Pandaria
, the pandaren who follow the path of the Tushui join the Alliance as well.
Due to length, this page has been split into the following subpages:
- Human Kingdoms
- Original Members
- New Members
- The Alliance: Initially formed between the human kingdoms as a united front against the invading Horde, it's eventually grown to incorporate other races which have also come to work much closer together in more matters than just military, though the nations do retain sovereignty.
- Badass Army: The 7th Legion, an army which comprises several of the Alliance's races.
- Badass Creed: A number of organisations within the Alliance has some rather badass words associated with them.
- The Knights of the Silver Hand, the Paladins of the Alliance, have one, spoken in the humans' ancient language:
"Esarus thar no'Darador — By Blood and Honor We Serve."
- The aforementioned 7th Legion has a really cool one.
Halford Wyrmbane: "Through the valleys and peaks of Mount Hyjal, across the shifting sands of Silithus, against the Legion's dread armies - we have fought. We are the nameless, faceless, sons and daughters of the Alliance. By the Light and by the might of the Alliance, the first strike belongs to us and the last strike is all that our enemies see. We are 7th Legion."
- Blue Is Heroic: The primary color used by the Alliance is blue, contrasting with the initially villainous Horde, which used red as their primary color.
- Fantastic Racism: Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes (As well as Worgen, who used to be Human) have fought multiple wars against the Orcs and Trolls, leading to deep-seated hatreds, the Draenei suffered even more at Orc hands, and had the Blood elves kidnap and leach the power of one of the beings they worship, and Orcs killed one of the Night Elve's demigods. Alot of the Alliance reason for confrontational acts against the Horde lies in either this or the Horde provoking them.
- Five Races: For the original Alliance of Lordaeron: Humans are Mundane, Dwarves are Stout, Gnomes are Cute, and High Elves are High Men/Fairy. For the current incarnation of the Alliance it goes like this: Humans are Mundane, Dwarves are Stout, Gnomes are Cute, Night Elves are High Men, and Draenei are Fairy. Worgen break the trend but can be considered a variation of Stout. Pandaren are firmly Stout.
- Holier Than Thou: One of the more common Alliance character flaws as a whole.
- Not-So-Omniscient Council of Bickering: The Alliance following the Second War was plagued with internal intrigue and bickering, much of which led to its initial downfall.
- The Order: Several orders have formed either from or within the Alliance, chiefest of all the Order of the Silver Hand, to which the human and dwarven paladins of the Alliance belongs.
- Saintly Church: The Church of the Holy Light, which most of the human kingdoms and the dwarves of Khaz Modan belong to. It does have its number of corrupt members and offshoots, but remains for the most part a Saintly Church.