open/close all folders
Etzel von GerhartFlirty, cunning, and quick-witted, Etzel is a vampire who owns a lavish underground mansion in the sewers of New York City. This is somewhat ironic, considering Etzel's perfectionist personality and distaste for anything dirty or less than fashionable.
Tropes that apply to Etzel
- Affectionate Nickname: He gives a pet nickname to nearly all of the Resistance.
- Anything That Moves: Etzel's previous encounters largely remain unknown, but it's been made apparent that he has certainly gotten around. He tried, several times, to drop not-so-subtle hints to Nicholas MUCH to Umbra's annoyance. As of late he's been unable to do anything of the sort, though, thanks to Kyle.
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Beta Couple: With Kyle, tied with Vezaliel.
- Bi the Way: Though he appears to prefer boys.
- Camp Bi: Immensely.
- Chaotic Neutral: If it weren't for his flamboyant personality, Etzel would be a True Neutral. He really only fights with the Resistance because they happen to be using his home as a base.
- Crazy-Prepared: During a battle on the streets above, Etzel dragged Dieter to a room where he proceeded to press a bunch of buttons and detonate dozens of mines he had embedded in the street. The results weren't pretty.
- Expansion Pack Past
- Let's Get Dangerous: Thanks to his surprisingly badass career experience, Etzel is more than capable of getting very dangerous, although as of press time he has not had the chance or inclination to.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Etzel is easily the most promiscuous of the Resistance, and while the rest of the characters take it in stride, the creators of Shadowhunter Peril find it hilarious.
- Mood Whiplash: With the facility to jump from jokey to wistful to furious to... welll, you name it, Etzel is the most changeable of the Resistance next to Veronica, making him serviceable Plucky Comic Relief.
- Really 700 Years Old: Etzel is much older than any normal human would be able to live for, thanks to being a vampire. Yet he appears to be in his twenties.
- The Dandy: Hoo boy.
Dieter GuildensternA Nephilim-turned-vampire, Dieter was Etzel's closest friend before the story began. He is physically the oldest of the cast, being turned into a vampire in his early 50s.
Tropes that apply to Dieter
- Arch-Enemy: To Blackburn.
- Ascended Extra: Rumored to have a bigger part in the next arc.
- Badass Grandpa
- Butt Monkey: Veronica's chew toy.
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Expansion Pack Past: So much, it rivals Etzel's.
- Gray Eyes
- Only Sane Man: Especially when everyone's going insane.
- Seen It All
- Spin-Off: Gets his own prequel story, which will be released soon.
- Team Dad: Most of the non-angelic cast look to him for guidance.
- Technical Pacifist
- Wise Beyond Their Years: No one ever bothered to ask how or why Dieter is so much less reactive than the other characters. He'd rather not tell.
Loren BlackburnIntroduced in The Stinger reviving the partially dead Architect, Blackburn is set to be the new antagonist. He has since appeared in Upworld, Downworld.
Tropes that apply to Blackburn
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel
- Beard of Evil
- Black Eyes of Evil
- The Chessmaster: If Dieter's prequel story is anything to go by. Blackburn began stalking Dieter, and developed a fake plot to seize power over the Downworld to get the Shadowhunters' attention. He bribed an official to make sure Dieter was sent on the mission, then killed all of Dieter's friends in front of him. He left a complicated trail of clues leading Dieter to his own father, who would explain who Loren Blackburn really was. During this time, Blackburn used the opportunity to sneak into Dieter's home and kidnap his wife. When Dieter returned to find Miriam gone, he spent days looking for her all across the area, without realizing that Blackburn had bitten and buried her under Dieter's own house. Then, when Dieter returned, Miriam crawled her way free and bit Dieter, while Blackburn played the piano and watched.
- Consummate Liar
- Does Not Like Guns
- Evil Counterpart: To Dieter.
- Evil Genius
- Fantastic Racism: Despises humans and Nephilim for their lack of strength, and hates all other downworlders except vampires becasue they have more power then he will ever obtain.
- Multiple-Choice Past: In-universe, he told several different people a different version of his backstory, usually involving an abusive father or some such, to gain their trust. Then he exploited that trust for all it was worth.
- Smug Snake
- Stolen MacGuffin Reveal: He steals Maellertach.
- Sword Cane
- Villain with Good Publicity
- Weak, but Skilled: Not as weak as Valentine, but even more skilled.
- Wicked Cultured