open/close all folders
Guest Party Members
Richard L. Jenkins
Corporal Richard L. Jenkins
- "We've got a Spectre on board! That's why I'm so wound up - I can't wait for the real mission to start."Voiced by: Josh Dean
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He says he's itching for some action just before the Eden Prime mission. Too bad "action" in his case meant watching his homeworld get scorched and being gunned down by a pair of geth recon drones.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite his boundless enthusiasm and naïveté, various characters imply Jenkins was a very competent soldier.
- Decoy Protagonist: He's a placeholder for your real Soldier squadmember who joins about a minute or two after his death.
- Doomed Hometown: Eden Prime is this for him. Pity he dies too soon for it to become a plot point. And it's not entirely doomed anyway; there's a DLC mission there in the third game.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Averted. The Normandy crew is very upset about his death, and in ME2 Dr. Chakwas reminisces about him over drinks with Shepard.
- He's also on the memorial wall in the Normandy in Mass Effect 3, and he will be mentioned if Kaidan, James, or EDI is brought to the Eden Prime mission.
- In private moments, Shepard is shown to give him/her-self grief over Jenkins' death since it was his/her orders that caused him to run into the ambush.
- One interpretation of when Shepard later encounters a young over-enthusiastic mercenary (who is also voiced by Josh Dean) on Omega, the reason they stopped dead in their tracks, turned slowly around and, if taking the Paragon interrupt, broke the kid's gun and ordered them home, was because he reminded them too much of Jenkins.
- Fun Personified: According to Chakwas. One of her stories involves him pestering Kaidan for a biotic demonstration, only for Kaidan to accidentally throw him so hard across the room, she thought he was seriously injured. Jenkins then leapt up, gleefully exclaiming:Jenkins: That was awesome!
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: If you're on a New Game+, he'll be level 50+ and still die to a few bullets after having been ordered to take point.
- Guest Star Party Member: Despite being with you for at most a minute or two and dying right before the first fight, he is a fully functional squad member that can be issued orders and even has some skill points for you to assign despite never having an opportunity to use any abilities.
- Hero-Worshipper: To Shepard. This is rarely a good sign for a character's mortality rate this early in the story.
- Innocently Insensitive: If Shepard has a Survivor or Ruthless background, Jenkins can gush about what he/she's done is worth him being a Spectre candidate, to which Shepard can state that it's a past that brings him/her bad memories.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Definitely had an incredibly idealistic outlook on the Spectres, and the heroism of Shepard him/herself.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Subverted, actually, despite the name. He's very eager to go out there and see action, but still follows Shepard's orders to the letter and takes point. In the end it still doesn't do him much good; some Geth drones ambush the squad and Jenkins gets gunned down before the rest know what's happening.
- Sacrificial Lamb: He dies just before the player's first battle.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He got one conversation and a couple of lines. For a BioWare squad member, that's waving hello in passing.