Through hard work and guts, here's the GunBuster
character page! Still under construction,
open/close all folders
- Ace Pilot: Becomes one over the course of the series.
- Action Girl
- Ascended Fangirl: In the science lesson shorts, she reveals that she's a big Getter Robo fan. Also, she gets mentored by the actual Getter team in Super Robot Wars Alpha.
- Smash Sisters: With Kazumi.
- Break the Cutie: Breaks pretty quickly in Episode 1, and breaks again in episode 3-4, before Taking Her Levels In Badass.
- CALLING YOUR ATTACKS: Enough over the course of just six episodes that she became Goddess of the trope.
- Character Development: Noriko starts out as helpless at controlling her mecha, despite being perfect physically, she trains nonstop to improve her skills and can handle her mecha perfectly.
- While she could control her mecha, she wasn't battle oriented, as shown in her first battle in episode 3, where she didn't fire a single shot at the enemy and it lead to the death of her First Love Smith. The events that took place in the battle effected her mentally and she wept when she entered space to have a duel with Jung. During the second battle, where she gets sidelined, Noriko thinks about Smith and vows to never cry again, and that she will fight rather than hide; this makes Noriko transform into a major Badass.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- The Danza: Voiced by Noriko Hidaka.
- Expy: Of Hiromi Ouka, considering that Gunbuster started as an Affectionate Parody of Aim for the Ace!
- First Love: Falls for Smith in episode 3, and he ultimately triggers her Character Development due to his death and she seems to remain loyal to her feelings for Smith, as she doesn't fall in love with anyone else.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: A famous subversion, she starts of clumsy and extraordinarily incapable, she works her ass off to become a badass.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Les Yay: With Kazumi.
- Indirect Kiss: Has one with Smith, the medium being his drink he gives her.
- Luminescent Blush: Has one after realizing she has an Indirect Kiss with Smith.
- Memento Macguffin: She first gets a yellow ribbon from Kazumi that she wears as a headband to keep her bangs out of her face, she wears it to show her respect and admiration for Kazumi.
- Half way through the series, however, she swaps the yellow ribbon for a blue one, the one that her First Love Smith tied to a ladder for her during their test of courage, she wears this ribbon to honor Smith after his death and to show her change in character. She still wears the blue ribbon, as shown in episode 6.
- Older Than They Look: Due to being in space for extended periods of time, Noriko doesn't physically age, such as when in episode 5 where ten years have passed since Noriko entered space, she still looks 17, despite chronologically being 27. In episode 6, another fifteen years have passed, making her chronologically 42, but still looks like she hasn't aged a day; the only difference being she has grown her hair out. Finally, at the conclusion of episode 6, 12,000 years have passed since the implosion when Noriko and Kazumi finally made it back to Earth and still looks 17.
- Hot-Blooded: Even more so when you consider that she's the basis for Simon.
- Red-Headed Heroine: Although it's a really dark shade that borders on brown sometimes.
- Took a Level in Badass: Glorious levels.
- Rousing Speech: Gives one to Kazumi in episode 5, combined with a verbal Bright Slap.
- Author Appeal: Was apparently named by Hideaki Anno. Yes, that one.
- D-Cup Distress: She says she likes the moon because the lack of gravity doesn't weigh down her breasts and she complains how her bra is too tight and she thinks her breasts are starting to sag.
- Faux Action Girl: She's said to be a genius pilot and fighter, but when she duels Kazumi, all of her attacks were blocked and when in combat in space, she quickly got caught by the enemy, couldn't break free, and was saved by Noriko.
- Foreign Fanservice: She's from the Soviet Union, judging by her mecha.
- Expy: If Kazumi and Noriko are Reika and Hiromi, Jung is most likely their Ranko.
- Ineffectual Loner
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Red-Headed Heroine
- The Rival: Starts out as this to Kazumi, but quickly becomes best friends with her and Noriko. She is, however, Kazumi's rival for Coach's affection. She lost.
Koichiro "Coach" Ohta