Wilson Percival Higgsbury
"I will conquer it all with the power of my MIND!"
Also known as "the Gentleman Scientist", he is the first playable character available and the main character of the game. He'll slowly accumulate a lot of facial hair after a few days, which he can shave off and use as a component to construct a Meat Effigy, a meat-filled wooden sculpture of himself that resurrects him into a new body when he dies.
"Things are so much prettier when they burn."
Also known as "the Firestarter", she is the first character to unlock. Willow is a pyromaniac; she regenerates Sanity from standing near fires and has a lighter that functions as a torch that never runs out, but she has lower maximum Sanity and will automatically and randomly start fires if her Sanity gets low.
- Creepy Child: Assuming that she is a child.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Girlish Pig Tails
- Kill It with Fire: She will suggest utilizing this method to the spiders in the game.
"Maybe I could kill it... with FIRE."
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: "Stupid X!"
"Stupid thing needs poop."
"Eat poop, stupid plant!"
"Hurry up, you stupid plant!"
"Stupid flowers. They're almost useless."
"Stupid bird. Wake up!"
"Stupid rabbits. Come out so I can eat you."
- Monochromatic Eyes
- Pyromaniac: She likes fire and anything that involves fire. The bigger the flames, the better. Everything else is either uninteresting, worthless, or stupid.
- Psychopathic Womanchild: Her dialogues are quite juvenile, she carries a teddy bear around (though we don't see it on her in-game), and has no qualms on burning down an entire village. Assuming that she is a grown woman (or a teenager), that is.
- Vague Age: Official art makes her look like a child, but some of her lines don't look like they could come from a little girl ("These pigs have questionable taste in architecture", etc). Word of God is that she's the same age as Wilson, who's at least old enough to have facial hair.
"Abigail! Come back! I'm not done playing with you."
Also known as "the Bereaved", she is the second character to unlock. She is quite gloomy despite her brightly colored appearance compared to the rest of the cast. Her special ability lets her make a blood sacrifice to summon the ghost of her dead sister Abigail, who will help her in combat. She also loses less sanity from darkness and monsters.
- Angsty Surviving Twin
- Antiquated Linguistics: She says things in a deep and cryptic way.
- Creepy Child: Child or not, she's still creepy.
- Girlish Pig Tails: Though it looks like she doesn't have one when viewed from the front.
- Flower in Her Hair: It matches her sister's.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a red bow (or is it a flower?) on the side of her head along with another pair to hold her pig tails on the back of her head. Her dead sister also sports a red bow albeit on the opposite side of the head.
- Monochromatic Eyes
- Nerf: The Character Rebalance update did this to Abigail. Rather than automatically being summoned every night, Wendy must now summon her manually, and every summon hits her with a hefty sanity penalty. However, after the update, Abigail stays with Wendy until she is damaged enough, rather than disappearing each morning.
- Undying Loyalty: Even in death, her sister still lingers as a ghost and protects her from harm.
- Vague Age: She is visually the most child-like character in the game, though her unique text dialogues are sometimes too deep and cryptic for a child to say.
"I am mighty! No one is mightier!"
Also known as "the Strongman", he is the third character to unlock. He is the most physically powerful of the player characters, as he deals more damage to enemies and has a higher maximum Health and Hunger. He grows more powerful if his Hunger meter is high, and grows weaker if his Hunger meter is low. He also loses Sanity faster in the dark and when near monsters.
"EMPATHY MODULE NOT RESPONDING."
Also known as "the Soulless Automaton", he is the fourth character to unlock. Despite being a robot, he still needs to eat food, but unlike the other characters, he can eat spoiled food without negative effects. He also takes damage from standing in the rain, but being struck by lighting has a chance to "supercharge" him, regenerating his health and giving him a temporary speed boost and light source at the cost of some Sanity. His base stats are lower than normal, but he can upgrade himself by "eating" Gears, increasing his maximum Health, Hunger, and Sanity.
- Clockwork Creature: His inner workings mainly consist of turning cogs and gears based on his character profile.
- Eating Machine: For some reason, he needs to eat food to survive and heal his wounds just like his human counterparts instead of just recharging his batteries, refueling his engines, and/or repairing his chasis like a typical robot would.
- Enemy to All Living Things: He is described in the update post as having a hatred toward living things.
- Killer Robot: Being a robot in a game where survival depends on killing a lot of creatures invokes this.
- Morality Chip: As stated in his profile quote, his isn't working properly for some reason, making him what he is now. A heart crossed with a giant X in his character profile makes it more obvious.
- No Waterproofing in the Future: WX-78 takes damage over time from being caught in the rain.
- Revenge: He talks about this whenever he kills a creature.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: He's even human enough to enjoy picking flowers, be afraid of monsters, go insane, etc.
- Robot Names: What his name means is anyone's guess.
- Robotic Psychopath: He is very fond of exterminating the life out of organics. Whatever they may be.
- Robo Speak: His unique text dialogue mainly consists of these.
"Shhhh! No talking!"
Also known as "the Librarian", she is the fifth character to unlock. She can craft 1st-tier prototypes without the need for a Science Machine, has a higher maximum Sanity, and can craft books that give herself buffs at the cost of Sanity. However, she can't restore Sanity using sleeping items and takes a bigger penalty from spoiled food.
"That's a nice tree, eh?"
Also known as "The Lumberjack", he is the sixth character to unlock. He starts with a talking axe named Lucy
that is more effective than normal axes and has unlimited durability. However, during a full moon or if he gets carried away cutting down trees, he becomes a Werebeaver that can't carry items, but can cut down trees, kill mobs, and mine rocks at super-speed.
Also known as "the Silent", he can be unlocked if he is rescued during Adventure Mode. He has significantly lower stats compared to the other playable characters, which makes him a good character for players who are looking for a bit more challenge in the game.
- Black Bead Eyes
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Underneath an even whiter face paint (on his character profile at least).
- Heroic Mime: Bonus points for being an actual mime.
- Joke Character: He has lower health, sanity, and hunger than the other characters, and isn't able to properly examine things (he will just remain silent when you try). Word of God says he was introduced as a way for players who thought the game was too easy to make things more challenging.
- Joke Item: He has the ability to craft balloons infinitely at the cost of Sanity, which distract monsters.
- Visible Silence: His character profile's quote in the character select menu.
- The Voiceless: He never says a wordnote . He just pantomimes.
"Say, pal, you don't look so good. You better find something to eat before night comes."
A mysterious man who 'welcomes' players into the world of Don't Starve
and seems to be in control of it. The last level of adventure world strongly implies that he's an Unwitting Pawn of the shadows; freeing him forces the current character being played to take his place, after which he becomes playable. He has lower health and strength compared to the rest of the cast but regenerates sanity constantly and starts out with some formidable equipment.
Charlie the Night Monster
She used to look like this.
"Those shadow things are so convincing - they almost scare me, and I'm part of the act!"
, an excerpt from her letter to Maxwell from from this page
The Night Monster. If the player is in total darkness for more than a few seconds, she'll attack, taking 100 hp. She used to be Maxwell's assistant, before both were taken to the Don't Starve
- Darkness Equals Death
- Don't Look at Me!: She doesn't attack Woodie in Werebeaver form, which has limited night vision. This suggests that she's not scared of lights, but of being seen.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Evil Is Not a Toy: It's suggested by supplemental material that Maxwell's use of dark magic turned Charlie into a monster.
- Gender-Blender Name
- She Who Must Not Be Seen: Characters can never see Charlie. Even when the player finds a light while getting hurt, Charlie will never be visible (since she's a game mechanic and not meant to have sprites). Woodie as a Werebeaver has night vision and is immune to the Night Monster's attacks, suggesting that she only approaches characters who can't see her, rather than fearing light.
- The Pollyanna
- We Used to Be Friends: With Maxwell. Now she attacks him when it's dark, just like anyone else.
"Rays will shine thröugh my spear and pöke öut yöur eyeball!"
A "Performance Artist" playing the role of a Valkyrie. She's considerably combat-oriented, having higher strength and defense as well as regenerating Health and Sanity with each kill. However, she refuses to eat anything other than meat, and she has slightly lower Sanity and Hunger.
- Blood Knight
- Heävy Mëtal Ümlaut: Upön every öccasiön where Wigfrid vöices wörds which cöntain the letter Ö in them, every single Ö will find itself the pröud pössessör öf twö döts flöating aböve it.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Wolfgang is stronger on a full stomach, Woodie is more resistant when transformed, and Maxwell constantly regenerates sanity. However, Wigfrid is the only character with bonuses to all three characteristics.
- Lost in Character: This 'performance artist' will steadfastly remain 'performing' as a battle-hungry Viking shieldmaiden, every moment of every day for as long as you're able to keep her alive. Wigfrid could give Kirk Lazarus a run for his money.
- Real Valkyries Eat Meat: Her only food of choice.
- Well, actually, Wigfrid's willing to make one single semi-exception: 'Leafy Meat.'
- Red-Headed Hero
"We will put you in our web!"
A kid also known as "The Undigestible", since he has been eaten
by a spider, and now uses it as a Living Body Suit
. He has characteristics of both human and monster, being able to eat monster food, befriend spiders, and has slightly higher physical attributes, but not only he has the mind of a kid (and thus can't take many hits to his Sanity), everything except spiders will attack him on sight.