The trilogy's heroine
, Chloe is fifteen years old and lives in New York. The daughter of a wealthy man, with a dead mother
, she's been raised mostly by housekeepers all her life
. She goes to an art school, and wants to be a director/screen writer when she grows up. Everything is mundane in her life, when suddenly she gets her first period, sees her first ghost, and is shipped off to Lyle House - having been diagnosed with schizophrenia.
There she meets other supernaturals like her
and they escape from Lyle House.
Victoria "Tori" Enright
- Daddy's Girl: If her mother is to be believed she adored her father.
- Hidden Depths: She initially seems like the Alpha Bitch, only interested in stabbing Chloe in the back... It's all a ruse to satisfy her power-crazed mother. Plus, she's surprisingly skilled with computers, able to bring up messages and email that the recipient thought were deleted.
- Long Lost Sibling: Is this to Simon.
- The Unfavorite: This is the reason she dislikes Chloe so much at first, since she's similar in appearance to her sister.
Rachelle "Rae" Rogers
- Face-Heel Turn: Tells the nurses about the gang's planned escape, which is essentially what screws the whole thing up and nerallu gets them all killed.
- Playing with Fire: She's in Lyle House for pyromania. She's really an Exustio half-demon, and has power over fire.
Elizabeth "Liz" Delaney