Characters: Cromartie High School
aka: Sakigake Cromartie Koukou
open/close all folders
Cromartie High "Students"
: 1-2 Voiced by
: Takahiro Sakurai
(JP), Ben Pronsky (EN) I'll bet you want to know why I'm here, right? READ THE MANGA.
The main character. He starts off relatively normal, but as the manga attests 3 chapters in, he'd have to be just as crazy as the rest to stay there.
- Adorkable: My god. He pushes it to the absolute extremes sometimes to the point where it becomes downright cringe worthy.
- All There in the Manual: the reason he gives for being in Cromartie is only in the manga and the movie.
- Badass: Kamiyama is officially declared the biggest badass in Japan by means of a trivia contest. It was over in the first round because no-one other than he knew what 'dairy product' meant.
- Berserk Button: Although he will usually plead for the least violent way to solve situations, he won't hesitate to shoot at people harrassing innocents in the street with explosive missiles. And he does it completely stone-faced, at that.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Does this quite a bit in the earlier stories, especially in the anime.
- Demoted to Extra: What happens to Kamiyama as the series progresses. It was most likely intentional on the part of the author — perhaps intended as a parody of other stories where the protagonist recedes into the background due to the far more interesting and/or amusing supporting cast. Kamiyama explains why in the last episode.
- Extreme Doormat: at first, and always at his old school.
- Felony Misdemeanor: When asked whether he ever has done anything bad, he confesses to doing something so terrible that even his classmates are astonished. Gluing the 37,042nd domino to the ground so it wouldn't fall over when his group was trying to top the record of 37,041 dominoes in a row.
- Flanderization: Kamiyama starts out as just sort of a strait-laced dork who then evolves into an uberdork whose moral fiber leads to incredibly questionable trains of thought. The author seems to suggest that Kamiyama has been this crazy since the beginning, and that it's starting to surface now that he has been among the Cromartie students for too long.
- Killer Rabbit: Hayashida vouches for him based on this principle. If he goes around a school full of badasses looking like a nerdy loser, he must be the toughest one of all. Turns out he's wrong, but pretty much everyone believes it.
- Loser Protagonist: He's a complete loser in pretty much every feasible way. There is absolutely nothing cool about this guy.
- Mistaken for Badass: Somehow manages to regularly get mistaken for the biggest badass in the series.
- Neat Freak: Along with all of his other exaggerated moral traits, he's one of these.
- Non-Action Guy: Not that anyone ever really does much fighting, but it's made very clear that he's a terrible fighter.
- Only Sane Man: He's not sane by any means, it's just that his form of insanity makes him a lot more coherent than most of the other guys.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Sort of. In a school full of bizarre delinquents, he comes off as this, but in reality he's way to much of straight laced stick in the mud to be considered normal.
- Straight Edge: Absurdly so. It's insane how he can come off as bizarre next to the rest of the cast for simply by being extremely boring.
- Straight Man: Relatively speaking.
: 1-2 Voiced by
: Takuma Suzuki (JP), Illich Guardiola
(EN) Not to change the subject, but...
Kamiyama's right hand man.
- Blatant Lies/I Have to Go Iron My Dog:
Hayashida: I got club practice and stuff.
Kamiyama: What club are you in?
Hayashida: Oh, it's the... Uh, what was it? Oh, yeah, boxing! The boxing club!
- Though it is subverted by the end of the chapter.
- Delinquent Hair: His mohawk. It's a fake. He keeps a normal slick hairstyle under a sort of toupee on which his mohawk is placed, because his family wouldn't accept him trying to be different - so he doesn't show up at his home with his mohawk on.
- The Ditz: He can't even manage a simple word problem that amounts to five minus two.
- Expressive Hair: again, the mohawk.
- The Lancer: He's Kamiyama's right hand man.
- Only Sane Man: Another one of the more coherent guys, though he's probably the least coherent of the group.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Assumes Kamiyama is absurdly tough despite looking and acting like a weakling based on the Killer Rabbit principle. In reality, Kamiyama really is a weakling.
- Your Cheating Heart: Is revealed to be in a relationship with a married woman in the manga.
: 1-2 Voiced by
: Tetsu Inada
(JP), Andy McAvin (EN) You guys are real assholes, you know that?
One of the saner ones. Gets no credit.
- Badass: He's been fighting all his life and has never lost once. No one cares though, since he doesn't have a cool nickname.
- Butt Monkey: No character is safe, but Maeda gets absolutely no respect.
- Distressed Dude: The most likely character to be kidnapped.
- Expy: A parody of real life wrestler Akira Maeda.
- No Respect Guy: Despite being one of the most respectable characters.
- The Smart Guy: Certainly comes off as the most intelligent character, even compared to Kamiyama.
- Only Sane Man: Another one of the more rational students and thus one of Kamiyama's closest friends.
"Is this guy a student here? Is he even Japanese?"
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: Gorilla's crazy antics.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- No Name Given: The author explicitly stated that the Gorilla's name is " Hiromi Go". But, it's hardly as if gorillas can introduce themselves, hence, within the story, Hiromi Go, like Freddie, is called whatever the students decided to call him. They didn't prove particularly creative in either case - though at one point everyone is convinced the gorilla is named Hajime.
- The Smart Guy
"My name is Yutaka Takenouchi, and I have only one weakness... I am VERY susceptible to motion sickness!"
An upper-class individual with aspirations of world domination, Hokuto starts at an appropriate level, taking over one high school at a time. Unfortunately, he then transfers to Cromartie, which doesn't have a structure he can easily take over.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin
: 1-1 Voiced by
: Akio Suyama (JP), Greg Ayres
(EN) You mean, you're really interested in
me? Okay. My name is-
. Followed Hokuto to Cromartie.
- Butt Monkey
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep
- Hey, You!: Because no one's interested enough to know Hokuto's lackey's name.
- Satellite Character: Originally, though he gets more appearances and screentime than Hokuto himself in the manga. The author implied that the reason for this is how Lackey is easier to fit into any given story.
- The Unreveal: Hokuto's henchman tries to reveal his name to the others. "Listen and listen good! My name is..." "Look! A meteorite just crashed into the school! "THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE!" Even when he was out on a date with a girl in volume 11 of the manga and had the chance to introduce himself to his date's friend's boyfriend, he STILL gets interrupted.
A former highjacker who was mistaken for Takenouchi. Stayed at the school to teach the rest proper behavior, so they don't end up like him.
: 1-5 Voiced by
: Norio Wakamoto
(JP), Jay Hickman (EN) I'm afraid I don't know a
thing about technology...
Leader of a different class. No one but Kamiyama and Hayashida recognizes that he's a machine. And if they do, they don't recognize that he's a robot
Ken Hirai ("The Flunker")
A student who was held back one year, and is unfailingly
referred to as "Mr. Hirai" or "Hirai-san".
- Exposition Break: tells long-winded stories in an attempt to teach the others. They usually miss the point completely and bore everyone else.
- Older and Wiser
Voiced by: ?
The class' errand boy until Kamiyama took his position.
- Extreme Doormat
- Laser-Guided Karma: Fujimoto punches him down for walking into him the day after his trolling, not even knowing his actual identity.
- Troll: He's the one who's revealed to be behind the trolling on Fujimoto's forum.
Other School Students
: Destrade High Voiced by
: Yuuto Kazama
(JP), James Faulkner (EN)
Leader of Destrade High School's first years, and an aspiring comedian.
School: Manuel High
Leader of Manuel High's first years. Exceedingly violent in real life, Fujimoto runs a message board and is generally patient and polite in private.
- Hypocrite: Just about the entire point of his character is how he says one thing in real life, and has a completely opposite reaction and opinion about the same subject while on the net.
- Internet Tough Guy: Inverted. He's incredibly polite on the internet but leads a school gang in real life.
- Mood Whiplash
- Nice Guy
Leader of Bass High's first years.
- Benevolent Boss: usually takes his second in command's opinion equal to or above his own.
Other Recurring Characters
Mechazawa's little brother.
- Chew Toy: Takes after his brother in that you would be hard pressed to find one appearance where he doesn't get smashed.
- Fun Size
- Verbal Tic / Pokémon Speak: "Mecha Ratta!" is the only thing he can say.
A random gorilla, unrelated to the male, that shows up every now and then.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: the only difference is the bow in her hair.
- Actually, the girl gorilla has even less hair on her head, and has a mustache and beard on closer inspection of her face. If anything, she looks even more like a male than the male gorilla.
- OneShotCharacters: Appeared merely to keep Hokuto's lackey from saying his name, and were never mentioned again.
- Though their space ship does show up in the background at least Once per Episode.
The star of a popular Gag Series
, Pootan is a regular man wearing a fuzzy white bear costume that exposes his face.
Pootan's co-star, who wears a fuzzy pink bunny costume that also exposes his face.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He tends to become very angry if Pootan doesn't do what he asks.
Buddy: Come on, Pootan, let's play.
Pootan: No, poo. Pootan is filing his tax returns.
Buddy: GODDAMMIT, I HATE YOU, POOTAN!
- No Name Given: He's referred to as "buddy," but that isn't his actual name.
Maeda's mom, who looks exactly like him, except with different hair.