An SCU agent who was framed for the murder of two cops while investigating the crime scene of a high profile serial killer. He spends the vast majority of the game trying to clear his name and track down the real culprit. His only weapons are a tazor, his SCU gear, and whatever he can find in the ruined enviroments around him.
- The Alcoholic: He can't even shoot right in the second game with drinking alcohol, although he does eventually get better.
- Beard of Sorrow: Gains one in the second game.
- The Brute: The FBI was interested in Thomas because of his unusually high skeletal and muscle density.
- Clear My Name: The entire goal of Condemned: Criminal Origins.
- Fingore: His showdown with Serial Killer X ends with him losing one of his index fingers.
- Made of Iron: Which is actually explained in the game itself.
- Parental Abandonment: Both of his parents were killed when he was a young boy.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In the first game he seems pretty calm and rational, if not friendly. One of the first things he does in the second game is to tell a bum who tried to help him off the ground to "piss off" while flipping him the bird.
Another SCU agent who believes in Ethan's innocence and helps him by deciphering the various clues Ethan comes across. While she plays a fairly minor role for most of the game she shows up for the library level to assist him in person and give him a tasor upgrade.
- Mission Control: Spends most of the game just talking to Ethan on his phone and giving him information. She does help him out in the library level though.
A mysterious figure who shows up to help Ethan at a few points during the game. As it turns out he is Serial Killer X's uncle and felt somewhat responsible for his actions, which is why he helps Ethan track him down.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Ethan from being killed by Serial Killer X, though he didn't make it in time to stop him from losing a finger...
- Papa Wolf: When Thomas is thinking of killing his nephew, Malcolm threatens to shoot him before he kills Serial Killer X. Even when it was revealed of their relation, he knocks out Thomas to protect him.
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Unfortunately.
The game opens with Ethan investigating one of his latest murders when things take a turn for the worst. His calling card is murdering young women and placing the corpses on display with a male mannequin. Found dead in the department store level, a victim of his own methods.
The Torturer/Carl Anderson
A serial killer who likes to drive his victims to suicide so that he doesn't deliver the final blow. Kills the teacher who ratted him out to the cops in the abandoned school, but falls prey to Serial Killer X not long afterwards.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: His specialty.
- Driven to Suicide: How he prefers to kill his victims. Happens to him at the hands of SKX.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Just like the Matchmaker he meets his end in the same way he killed his own victims once Serial Killer X gets ahold of him.
- Stupid Evil: Going after someone for ratting on you isn't such a smart idea, especially when you don't bother to finish him off.
Serial Killer X (Leland Vanhorn)
The man who killed the two cops at the beginning of the game and framed Ethan for it. He spends most of the game killing other serial killers in the same why they killed their own victims. Ethan manages to confront him near the end of the game but is stopped before either of them manage to kill the other. His ultimate fate is left up to the player to decide.
- Bald of Evil: He has a shaved head in the sequel.
- Big Bad: Of the first game.
- Driven to Suicide: If the player chooses to spare him, he shoots himself. Subverted in that he's revealed to be Not Quite Dead in the sequel.
- Facial Horror: In the second game, he's missing a huge chunk of his face from a bullet wound, and has an "X" carved into his forehead.
- Genius Bruiser: He is quite intelligent, given his ability to stalk you for months leading up to the events of the game and hunt down several serial killers to kill them before you can capture them and is shown to be a strong fighter, as he is able to defeat several foes at the same time when you see him in the subways, and battles you face to face during the endgame, even if he spends most of the fight running away and trying to ambush you.
- Knight Templar: Convinced he's on the path of righteousness, and will kill anyone who he sees as hindering him on that path. Apparently dropped in the sequel, instead he's motivated by figuring out how the Oro work so he can take on their power.
- Serial-Killer Killer: Goes after all the killers Ethan hadn't managed to catch and by the time the game begins has already managed to kill most of them.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Has been following Ethan's progress in the F.B.I. and spying on him in his apartment.
Oro Dark Primary
The final boss of the game who fights Ethan in a surreal landscape after stalking him throughout the rest of the game. Implied to have been involved in almost all of the events in the game in one way or another and appears many times in Ethans mind before then. Is killed after Ethan removes several metal pieces from its body, crushes its neck, and drops it to the ground from the top of the platform he was standing on.
- Body Horror: And you have to kill it by ripping the metal parts from its body out one at a time!