Characters: Brightly Burning
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet lists the characters of the stand-alone novel Brightly Burning.
Herald Lavan Chitward and Companion Kalira
- Chaste Hero: Lavan and Kalira, both due to their bond.
- Doomed by Canon
- Emotional Powers: Lavan's powers are fueled by rage and fear. When Kalira dies, his rage destroys the entire Karsite Army
- Interspecies Romance: A platonic one, with each other.
- The Magnificent: Lavan Firestarter; Lavan Firestorm
- Mindlink Mates: An interesting example in that Lavan is both life and Companion bonded to Kalira. The double bond is necessary for controlling his Gift but means that he is almost completely dependent on her.
- Morality Chain: Kalira. In this case, it isn't that Lavan would turn evil without her, but he would quickly go insane. The Karsites find this out firsthand.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Lavan is a living weapon capable of annihilating entire armies. He receives special honors, consideration and protection because this ability made him into Valdemar's WMD at just the right time to repel a Karsite invasion.
- Playing with Fire
- Power Incontinence: Lavan nearly kills himself when his power first manifests. He's so powerful that his primary problem is controlling his power, not using it.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: The only thing keeping him sane was his Companion. Then she died.
Herald Pol and Companion Satiran
- Deer in the Headlights: They have to be physically dragged away from the inferno that Lavan summons after Kalira is killed.
- Mentor: For Lavan
Herald Trainee Tuck and Companion Dacerie
- Cannot Tell a Lie: To the point that Lavan notes that it's like Tuck has a permanent Truth Spell on him.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He learned how to sew from his grandmother, and as a consequence, one of his chore duties at the Collegium is in the mending room. He greatly enjoys the fact that he is the 'only rooster in the henhouse'.