Blog / Twilight Unbound
is an Ask a Pony
blog run by AdvancedDefense (creator of earlier works like Nicktoons Tales
and WALL•E: The Human Touch
). It has Twilight Sparkle deal with the Windigoes
. After thousands of years they have been gone, they have returned even more hay-bent on making Equestria a frozen wasteland. And now, Twilight must go across the land, with the help of her friends, to stop the incoming threat. But
, there is a catch, as Twilight is now forced to turn into a monstrous pony (dubbed Werelight Shine by Spike) every night due to a Windigo spirit getting stuck in her system!
The blog's main story is basically Sonic Unleashed
in the world of ponies
, however, Word of God
states that even though it is so, the events that happen within the story are going to be rather different from that of its inspiration. Word of God
also stated that he also had trouble deciding when the story took place within the official canon, but after watching Magic Duel
, he finally decided that the Main Story took place before Season 3.
Not to be confused with the biography of Stephenie Meyer
with the same name.
The artist has officially declared
that he will not be continuing the blog.
This blog contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: The Zombie Apocalypse Side Story, judging from the deleted entries.
- Amazonian Beauty: By pony standards, Werelight Shine would technically be this. The physical analysis on Human!Werelight's body just further supports the idea.
- A few pieces of fanart paint Werelight as this, as well.
- April Fools' Day: For the entire day, Twilight Unbound was turned into Trixie Unbound.
- An Ice Pony: To make up for the lack of magic in her Werelight form, Twilight has this ability.
- Badass Bookworm: Werelight Shine also qualifies on both counts. She's still Twilight Sparkle, but she's also a werecreature who can swat down a Super Haiyan pegasus with an Armor-Piercing Slap.
- Bad "Bad Acting": In order to get Pinkie off her back so she can save the Cutie Mark Crusaders from the Windigo Spawn, Werelight pretends to be defeated by Pinkie and gives Baby Cakes back to her. She acts as well as you would expect.
- Big Bad: Trixie is implied to be this.
- Big Damn Heroes: Werelight did this in her first battle against Windigo Spawn, albeit unintentionally. Rainbow Dash was hiding in the clouds from said Windigo Spawn before Werelight came in.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Werelight belts out one when she becomes swamped with people berating her for not telling her friends about Werelight, combined with the fact she was getting her flank handed to her by the Windigo Spawn.
- Call Back: Werelight tells Spike his "secret" in order to gain his trust early on in the plot.
- Call Forward: The Wonderbolts Academy makes an appearance, and later, Rainbow Dash is awaiting approval to be accepted there.
- Like Magic Duel, Twilight gets the feeling that something's off with Trixie.
- The Cameo: Princess Luna can be seen hiding in the forest in Twilight's nightmare. Only time will tell what kind of role she'll have in the story.
- In addition to Luna, another pony named Horror can also be seen hiding in the forest behind Pinkie Pie.
- Continuity Nod: As Twilight and Spike travel to Celestia's castle, Twilight mentions the last time Celestia sent an emergency letter to her.
- Trixie mentions the Ursa Minor incident, and Gilda mentions how Rainbow Dash chose her new friends over her.
- When Twilight brings up the reason why she wouldn't tell her friends about her Werelight form, certain events come up in her mind.
- Curbstomp Battle: Possessed!Soarin' delivers a rather brutal one to Werelight. Notably the first opponent to completely outmatch her.
- Cursed with Awesome: Definitely a curse, but it also enables a lot of ass-kicking.
- Dead Fic: See here.
- Demonic Possession: Windigoes have been going left and right to possess other ponies. Ponies under possession are either filled with hatred or turned into monsters. It's also apparently the source of the Werelight form, although Twilight's willpower and/or her status as an Element Bearer keeps her in control.
- Later it's revealed that the Windigo Spawn aren't limiting themselves to just ponies...
- The Dragon: Gilda to Trixie.
- Freakiness Shame: It's shown here that Twilight absolutely despises her Werelight Shine form.
- Gender Flip: Husk Sparkle to Werelight Shine.
- Genius Bruiser: Twilight in Werelight Shine form, as she retains her intelligence while becoming extremely strong.
- Go Through Me: Spitfire does this in order to protect a group of pegasi from Trixie. This doesn't work, however, as Trixie gladly obliges to get rid of her before the pegasi. Had Twilight not intervened in the nick of time, Spitfire could've met an untimely demise.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: This is the extent of the Werelight form on Twilight's personality.
- Heel–Face Turn: Gilda does this after Rainbow Dash saves her life.
- Horror Hunger: For a brief moment, Werelight had the urge to eat little colts and fillies, at least until she was pointed out that Pound and Pumpkin Cake were hugging her leg.
- Interquel: The main story takes place between Seasons 2 and 3 of Friendship is Magic.
- "Kick Me" Prank: During Nightmare Night, Pony Discord did this to her.
- Moral Myopia: Twilight uses the events of Lesson Zero and A Canterlot Wedding as evidence that she can't trust her friends with her secret, conveniently ignoring how irrational and unreasonable she was in both episodes.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Werelight Shine. Soarin' also fit the trope when he was possessed by a Windigo.
- Mouth Cam: Happens when Werelight feels the urge to eat the CMC.
- Multiform Balance: Twilight can only use the full extent of her magic when in her normal form, Werelight's magic being reduced to telekinesis. In exchange, Werelight has far more physical strength and power, as well as ice powers.
- The Multiverse: The blog has made references to other universes with their own Werelight (normally ones that have died in some way). While these are other blogs, Werelight's appearances in them are mainly cameos.
- Never My Fault: Gilda acted like Rainbow Dash chose her new friends over her for no particular reason. Of course, Dash calls her out for this.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Trixie forced a Windigo Spawn into Twilight Sparkle. However, Element Bearers are immune to the Windigo's Demonic Possession, resulting in Twilight gaining her powerful Werelight form to help her fight the Windigos.
- Nightmare Sequence: Twilight has one after passing out in Cloudsdale. She dreams that she and her friends were having a nice picnic, until Trixie comes in and turns her into Werelight, causing her to attack her friends. Which leads to...
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: What Soarin's pummeling against Werelight amounts to.
- She returns the favor to the Windigo possessing him once she gets it out of him.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: In a sense, Twilight never refers her new form as a "werepony." Justified as it is just a Windigo spirit in her body, not an actual were-curse.
- However, other ponies, more specifically, ponies that live outside Werelight's Tumblrverse, in fact do call her a werepony. However, this may be due to their unfamiliarity with how her world works and not because Werelight is actually one to begin with.
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: Werelight Shine.
- Original Flavour: It's become clear that the artist of the blog is trying to aim for this.
- Poor Communication Kills: Twilight's absolute refusal to let anyone other than Spike know of her curse has so far caused more harm than good.
- It turns out the main reason she doesn't want anyone to find out is because she's still bitter over how no one listened to her during the events of Lesson Zero and A Canterlot Wedding.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Pound and Pumpkin Cake try this on Twilight in hopes that she would play with them. It worked.
- Reluctant Monster: Twilight thinks her Werelight form is hideous and is desperately trying to find a cure.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Werelight's response after neither attacking nor using her ice breath proves effective against Possessed!Soarin'. It doesn't work either.
- Slasher Smile: Werelight has this in her first fight against the Windigoes. Heck, she has this almost every time when she sees a fight about to happen.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Werelight makes a quick getaway from Pinkie and the foals after defeating the Parasprite Cage.
- Take That: After being glitter-bombed, Werelight now finds herself sparkling in the moonlight. She then goes on to say that this is not why she was called Twilight Sparkle.note
- Took a Level in Badass: Trixie's magic is definitely stronger in this story. She left a crater from one of her magic blasts!
- Took a Level in Jerkass: But on the other hand, Trixie is definitely meaner than before. She was willing to blow up a flock of pegasi if they weren't able to answer her question!
- Villain Team-Up: Although Windigoes are the bread-and-butter foes Werelight fights, Trixie appears to be the cause of the trouble. Trixie also sent Gilda after Twilight.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Possessed!Soarin'. After dealing with Windigo Mooks for much of the plot up until that point, he No Sells everything she throws at him and beats the tar out of her. It's only when Spike shows up to help that she manages to stand a fighting chance.
- WHAM Line: "Twilight... you are now under possession of a Windigo spirit!"
- Whole Plot Reference: The blog's Main Story takes cues from Sonic Unleashed, and it doesn't even attempt to hide it.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Twilight finds the name Werelight Shine stupid. Subverted in that nopony else thinks the same way, and find it a perfectly normal name.