Awesome: Skulduggery Pleasant
- Valkyrie forcing her way into the Faceless One's dimension to rescue Skulduggery in the fourth book. Determinator at its finest.
- Valkyrie kills a God in The Faceless Ones and owns the others with Necromancy. Which she had never studied before.
- "Get away from my ex-girlfriend, you moany little whinge-bag." You tell that sad little emo git, Fletcher Renn.
"Well done, Val. You share the emotional range of a dead man."
- Fletcher is generally good at chewing people out. His What the Hell, Hero? to Valkyrie was equally awesome.
- Villainous example. Eliza Scorn utterly outplays Magnificent Bitch China Sorrows. She foils her plan to end the Church of the Faceless Ones and takes away everything she holds dear. When she says "Finished with you? I haven't even started." she bloody well means it.
- Desmond. Throwing Moore into a pharmacy window.
- Skulduggery at the end of Death Bringer, tossing off his Superpowered Evil Side casually to throw off Darquesse's Breaking Speech.
Skulduggery: I wouldn't stay like this. I like being me.
"That is not Lord Vile. This is Lord Vile."
- Skulduggery somehow manages to make giving in to his Superpowered Evil Side seem awesome.
- The actual fight is pretty damn awesome. If a little terrifying.
- Another Skulduggery example, from Playing With Fire. The infamous 'swordfight/gunfight' one. Skulduggery is facing down Baron Vengeous, and proceeds to snark all over the Honor Before Reason trope.
Vengeous: Only a heathen brings a gun to a swordfight.Skulduggery: Only a moron brings a sword to a gunfight.
- "My name is Valkyrie Cain."
- Skulduggery delivers a simple, yet effective threat to Serpine in the first book.
Skulduggery: You're going to fall. You're going to fall hard. And I'm going to be there. I'll be the one pushing you.
- The entire ending to Kingdom of the Wicked. Here's some examples:
- Darquesse and Lord Vile team up. And It. Is. AWESOME.
- Not to mention enormously satisfying.
- Darquesse taking on Mevolent... and winning.
- By hitting him with a horse.
- Serpine, for stopping Darquesse from using the Sceptre. Think about that. Serpine just accidentally SAVED THE UNIVERSE.
- Both Darquesse and Valkyrie getting to kill or kick the crap out of Kitana and her gang.
- Shudder versus Baron Vengeous.
- Argeddion and Darquesse are the two most powerful individuals in the universe. They are, to all extents and purposes, basically gods. But they are gods who still have human bodies and human brains, so it turns out Skulduggery can still beat them. Both. Simultaneously. With science. Specifically, he induces an epileptic fit using a particular rhythm of flashes he had memorised some time ago.
- Darquesse and Lord Vile team up. And It. Is. AWESOME.
- Skulduggery's Papa Wolf tendencies towards Valkyrie are a little heartwarming, a little awesome and more than a little terrifying, but the way he deals with Sult takes the cake. He doesn't even have to threaten him.
Skulduggery: I know that you're not about to strike my partner.*everyone freezes*
Skulduggery: You've heard the stories about me.Nadir: So?Skulduggery: Well, the stories are nothing compared to the truth, and the truth is nothing compared to what I'll do to you if Valkyrie gets hurt. I'm the worst enemy you could ever make, Silas. Look at me and answer honestly. Do you believe me?Nadir: YeahSkulduggery: Good.
- His threat to Nadir was glorious.
- Oddly enough, Stephanie's "Reason You Suck" Speech to Skulduggery in "Last Stand of Dead Men".
Stephanie: I get that you hate me. Of course you hate me. I've done horrible things. Not as many horrible things as Valkyrie, but still.. But that's not why you hate me. You hate me because I'm not her. And it's fine if you want to continue like that. Then whenever you hear that I've done something good or nice, you can pretend to be surprised, because everyone knows you think I'm nothing but the evil version of Valkyrie. But I'm not the evil version of Valkyrie. Valkyrie is the evil version of Valkyrie. And now that I'm real, now that I'm a real person, I'm not going to hurt anymore innocent people. Can she say the same?Skulduggery: I'm going to get her back.Stephanie: How? You have no idea, do you? You're terrified that the next time you see her you'll have to kill her, because you'll have no other choice. So you can say all the mean things you want. It doesn't bother me. You're just scared.
- Skulduggery curb-stomping the Black Cleaver using Necromancy. Without his armour.
- Darquesse casually taking out an army.
- China Sorrows getting back at Eliza Scorn by leading the people trying to kill her to the fancy new church.
- She also goes from losing almost all her resources and allies to Grand Mage of Ireland in a year.
- The Dying of the Light has China gleefully abusing her power to screw with Eliza.
- Finbar Wrong in Last Stand of Dead Men. He sees the assassin coming. He sends his wife and child away and cancels all his appointments. He then puts a poisoned tea cup into the man's hands. And calmly informs the dying man what he has done. Do not mess with a Sensitive.
- In Last Stand of Dead Men, we get to see what it's like fighting a Teleporter. A half-trained, very young Teleporter, at that. No wonder they were so baffled in The Faceless Ones.
- Which gives several retroactive awesome moments to Bantu, even if he was evil.
- The scene in Last Stand of Dead Men where Clarabelle is trapped by three wraiths. Who comes to her rescue? Scapegrace and Thrasher. True it's the most unheroic rescue you could imagine, but seriously, who would have expected that from Scapegrace of all people?
- Lord Vile and Melancholia team up in The Dying of the Light. They beat the crap out of Darquesse and very nearly kill her.
- Sanguine showing up to fight the Black Cleaver, starting with him whistling Ennio Morricone. And then in the ensuing battle Sanguine manages to completely outmatch his opponent, using his powers to stay out of reach and attack unpredictably. And when he's eventually disarmed and cornered he doesn't even miss his stride, diving straight through his opponent to tear them apart using his tunneling power. granted the cleaver promptly recovers and kills him, but it's an impressive display of his skill all the same, and puts him on par with a lot of powerful individuals.
- Good Tanith finally kills the damn Black Cleaver, Formerly the Grey Cleaver, formerly the White Cleaver, by making it follow the rules of conduct in a circle duel. You have to remove your armor, you can't exit the circle. (Which restricts its wide attacks.)
- How do you kill someone who kills gods? Who treats killing everything, including Eldritch Abominations, as a goal? Who will not die no matter what you do? Oh, Darquesse will take hits, but she always avoids the God Killer weapons and regenerates everything else. Well.... You get four of the most powerful Sensitives to make a very powerful illusion spell that told her that she won. That she killed everything in the universe and absorbed their Life Energy, and there was nothing left but to cross over to where the Faceless Ones live and challenge them with the power from killing everything. She does cross over...but she doesn't have the power needed to fight them all.