is a televised Anime
series directed by Gisaburō Sugii from studio Geneon and featured on TV Tokyo. The 52-episode TV series aired in Japan from 6 October 1998 through 28 September 1999, and has been translated into multiple languages including English, Chinese, Spanish, Italian and Tagalog. The Anime
also inspired a serialized Manga
of the same name produced by publisher Kodansha in its monthly Manga magazine Nakayoshi.
The series was inspired by the long-selling and popular Takara doll lineup Licca-chan
(considered by some to be the Japanese equivalent of Barbienote
). The Anime was designed to serve as a means to adapt their line of dolls and create a line of action figures. However, the new figures were only a mild success, and did not remain in production for long.
The story of the Anime follows an ordinary elementary school girl named Licca Kayama.note
It details the strange circumstances surrounding her origins, and also delves into the origins of her protector, Doll Licca. Licca herself descends from a long line of defenders of the Fantasy Kingdom, from which all our fairy tales originate; she and her family must use three super powered dolls (Doll Licca, Doll Isamu and Doll Izumi), along with the help of her friends, to thwart the machinations of Professor Scarecrow and his minions.
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Doll Licca and Doll Izumi
- Anti-Villain: Isamu, while controlled by Yae. He's not evil, but genuinely believes he's doing the right thing.
- Creepy Child: Catherine Subverted, she's not evil. In fact, she's the original owner of Doll Izumi and sends her out more than once to protect Licca.
- Big Bad: Yae.
- Disappeared Dad: Licca's grandfather died in an Heroic Sacrifice to save his and Nanae's daughter Orie aka Licca's mom. Or so we think.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Licca is left in the darkness about why Scarecrow and Co. are trying to kidnap her repeteadly. Until the second half of the series kicks in.
- Magical Incantation: "Tururu tururu kureiro kureiro", to summon Doll Licca. "Fururu Furora Gurine Guraine" to summon Izumi. "Pereso Perese Burune Buraine", to summon Isamu.
- Mascot Fighter: Appeared in DreamMix TV World Fighters.
- Names to Know in Anime: Tomo Sakurai (Doll Licca), Kentarō Itō (Doll Isamu), Michiko Neya (Doll Izumi), Yuka Kouno (Licca), Kazue Komiya (Nanae Kayama aka Licca's grandma as well as her twin sister and Big Bad Yae), Mitsuru Miyamoto (Licca's Big Brother Mentor Rui), Rokurō Naya (Dr. Scarecrow), Ikue Otani (Catherine)
- Parents in Distress: Licca's father Pierre is captured by the Doll Kingdom people in the last third of the series.
- Plucky Girl: Licca
- Spanner in the Works: Rui. Several times.
- Terrible Trio: Dr. Scarecrow's henchmen, Pull and Wire, are both a Brother-Sister Team and a two-person version of the trope.
- Weapon of Choice: Each Doll has one: