- The original route, shut down in 2009. The classic route was from Istanbul to Paris via Belgrade and Vienna (there were two versions, three a week each, taking different routes between Vienna and Paris. This was truncated over the years to Paris-Vienna and ended as Strasbourg-Vienna. The final death knell was the introduction of High Speed Rail along most of the by then remaining line.
- The luxury London-Venice service (although there are longer journeys available including to Verona, Berlin and Istanbul), the Venice Simplon Orient Express, which uses vintage engines and carriages. This is actually split into two
- The Belmond British Pullman (another luxury service) that takes passengers to Folkestone West.
- Passengers are then taken by coach via 'Le Shuttle' trains through the Channel Tunnel. The service historically never ran across the Channel, although there was a sleeper service known as the "Night Ferry" that ran with carriages transported across by boat - this ran from 1936 to 1980 (with a 1939-1947 gap because of the Second World War).
- They then board the Orient Express at Calais for an overnight journey to Venice.
open/close all folders
- Detective Conan has the Bell Tree Express, a clear expy considering that it's a train with a deliberate retro look and they arrange a murder mystery game on board every time it runs.
Films — Live-Action
- Romance on the Orient Express: a 1985 TV movie with Cheryl Ladd.
- In Around the World in 80 Days (2004), Mr. Fogg rides aboard the train to Istanbul.
- From Russia with Love (and the original novel too), featuring a legendary fight scene between Bond and Red Grant in a compartment, still used to screen test potential Bonds.
- Murder on the Orient Express, where Hercule Poirot has to investigate a murder on the train. Adapted a number of times for film, including a modern-day adaptation. Christie did her research- Poirot tries to get a berth on the Istanbul-Calais coach but this is full, so he takes a space in the Istanbul-Paris coach with the aim of transferring to the Athens-Calais coach when it is attached at Belgrade, but the train runs into a snow drift before then. She also used dramatic licence; there was no saloon car before Trieste, but she added one for plot purposes.
- Also the short story "Have You Got Everything You Want?" is set on board the train.
- The Napoli Express, a Lord Darcy mystery deconstructing the story of Murder on the Orient Express.
- In Dracula, when Dracula escapes from England to Varna by sea, the cabal sworn to destroy him travels to Paris and takes the Orient Express, arriving in Varna ahead of him.
- Stamboul Train by Graham Greene.
- Travels With My Aunt by Graham Greene.
- Flashman and the Tiger by George MacDonald Fraser: Sir Harry Paget Flashman travels on the train's first journey as a guest of the journalist Henri Blowitz.
- The Solar Pons story The Adventure of the Orient Express.
- In the Diesel Punk story Leviathan, the Orient Express appears as a heavily armed high-tech train.
- Avalanche Express, a Cold War Spy Fiction novel by Colin Forbes, involves a team of agents escorting a high-ranking Soviet defector on the Orient Express, while fending off various attempts at murder and sabotage. Bad weather conditions prevent the team from flying him directly to the United States, but they're also using the defector as The Bait to flush out the Soviet sabotage network in Europe (which would otherwise only be activated in time of war).
- The Altiplano Express between Ankh-Morpork and Uberwald in Raising Steam.
- Get Smart had an episode titled "Aboard the Orient Express".
- Minder on the Orient Express (1985): a special episode of the long-running ITV sit-com Minder.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation, "Emergence": the train appears on the Enterprise's holodeck.
- In the British soap opera EastEnders, in 1986, characters Den and Angie Watts spent their honeymoon on the train.
- Mentioned in an episode of the 11th Doctor's run in Doctor Who. Apparently there was an Egyptian Goddess on the loose on it, and it was IN SPACE!. This Noodle Incident is elaborated on in the 12th Doctor story "Mummy on the Orient Express". It's a Mummy on the Orient Express IN SPACE!.
- The Goodies: In "Daylight Robbery on the Orient Express", the Goodies set up a fake Orient Express for a convention of famous detctives. Things go even spectacularly awry than they usually do.
- "Orient Express" is the title of a piece of music Jean-Michel Jarre composed for his 1981 Concerts In China. The video clip features footage of the classic train.
- The Last Express, an epic adventure game by Jordan Mechner, is about the fictionalized final trip of the Orient Express in the weeks leading up to WWI.
- The Excess Express in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, an Affectionate Parody of the Orient Express as it appears in Murder on the Orient Express.
- The Molentary Express in Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box is a luxurious train described as a cruise ship on rails that's just a bit mysterious, with a destination that hardly anyone knows anything about.
- Rugrats paid homage to Murder on the Orient Express with a (fake) murder mystery on the "Ornery Express".
- The Backyardigans episode "Le Master of Disguise" features the Orient Express, showing Uniqua, Pablo, Austin, Tasha, and Tyrone going to Istanbul from Paris.
- The 1987 cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has an episode entitled "Turtles on the Orient Express". As the title suggests it is primarily based on the train.
- In one episode of the British cartoon series Danger Mouse, called "Danger Mouse on the Orient Express", DM and Penfold travel on the train on their way back to London from Venice. DM's arch-enemy Greenback is also on the train. They're both vying for a document that could lead to disaster for Europe's tourist industry.
- Also, "Victor and Hugo - Bunglers in Crime" also made by Cosgrove-Hall, has an episode 'Blunder on the Orient Express' where the brothers try to rob a train but accidentally end up on the Orient Express instead. A Hercule Poirot expy aslso appears.
- In 1994's Season 1 episode of Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?? called "The Gold Old Bad Days", Carmen Sandiego and her V.I.L.E. gang are given a challenge to do something low tech by The Player. Carmen's goal is the train.