Avenger is an experimental 13 episode Space Opera
Series from studio Bee Train
Productions Inc., with Bandai Visual
. Taking place in the distant future on a deteriorating space colony on Mars, a young woman by the name of Layla Ashley is a top notch Gladiator with a Dark and Troubled Past
who travels about the decaying planet. Her companions are Nei, a strange and unique doll with some unknown ties to Layla, and Speedy, who is a doll breeder. The founders of Mars see the trio as a threat to their world, and each time they attack Layla and Nei a bit more of their mysterious past and future is revealed. The series remains mostly forgotten today, spare the fans.
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Layla Ashley is a Gladiator.
- Ali Project: Second collaboration between Koichi Mashimo and the musical duo since Noir. This time, they did the entire soundtrack.
- Catch Phrase: Layla Ashley has them too. "Try just try and kill me." or "Kill me if you can."
- Colony Drop: The Earth's Moon is on a slow collision course with Mars. It hangs in the sky ominously, huge and tainted red by the planet's glow.
- Darkand Troubled Past: Layla Ashley in particular. Volk killed Layla's Parents while their shuttle was inbound.
- Days of Future Past: Except for the technology level, Mars's society is awfully reminiscent of the city-states of ancient Greece.
- Duality Motif: Nei has heterochromia to indicate that she (or he, it ain't exactly clear, either) is both a Robot Girl and a real human. Well, actually, she/he is neither but has the potential to become one of the two.
- Kill 'em All: Volk destroys a shuttle full of incoming colony immigrants
- Sic 'em: Androids are in hot pursuit of Layla and company.
- Replacement Goldfish: Dolls were created when children stopped being born on Mars.
- Robot Kid: Dolls.
- Space Opera
- Spell My Name with an S: The Japanese version goes by Westa while the English dub goes by Vesta
- Stern Chase
- Tired of Running: Layla decides to face Volk after he calls for a showdown with her.
- Wendee Lee: As Vesta