Fanfic / To Boldly Go
To Boldly Go
is a retelling of the 2009 Star Trek
film using characters from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
. It is written by Avenging-Hobbits
To Boldly Go contains examples of:
- Adorkable: Twilight to a lesser degree then in the show, but it is still there. A particularly noticeable moment of this is when she quotes The Hobbit as an attempt to say good morning to Rarity. Rarity finds it quite adorkable.
- Alternate Universe: A wildly different one compared to the original Friendship is Magic universe, including but not limited to:
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: The name of Soarin's species isn't technically a real word, but it sure sounds like an alien species. Same goes for the name of Twilight's father, Savak.
- Author Appeal: Most of the chapter titles of the story so far contain some sort of reference to classic rock (i.e. "Breathe in the Air"=Pink Floyd). Most likely due to the fact that the author himself is a self-avowed fan of classic rock.
- Berserk Button: Twilight's is anything offending her Equestrian mother, while Rainbow's is anything offending her dead father.
- Character Tics: Twilight. When stressed, she reflexively nibbles her lip. A lot.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: The griffons do this to Chrysalis when she's their captive.
- Creature of Habit: Twilight again. Given that she's The Spock, these are expected.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Rainbow's dad.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Chrysalis' ship has a Wave Motion Gun capable of doing this which she does to her former prison after escaping.
- Fantastic Racism: Saddle Arabians seem to have an incredibly low opinion of Equestrians, which seems to be the fuel for most of Twilight's problems, with it going as far as the Saddle Arabian Science Academy considering her mother being an Equestrian as a "disadvantage".
- Gender Bender: Soarin.
- Great Escape: Subverted. Chrysalis, after apparently being held in a Hellhole Prison for ten years, attempts one, but, alas, is quickly subdued.
- She manages to pull off a proper one sometime later, successfully freeing her people and fleeing in her ship after destroying the whole prison planet.
- Hellhole Prison: The Griffin Prison where Chrysalis is being held in is an example of this.
- Interspecies Romance: Twilight's parents seem to have a very loving relationship, even with her father's rather unemotional personality.
- Like Brother and Sister: Soarin' and Rarity.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Rainbow Dash says this jokingly when she shows up for her date with Soarin' in a very revealing dress.
- Noodle Incident: Applejack's reasons for joining The Federation are apparently because someone cheated her out of her mother's will, even though Applejack was apparently the only one who cared enough to try and care for her ailing mother.
- The exact circumstances behind Soarin's falling out with his uncle also for some reason left Soarin with a hatred of the color chartreuse.
- Shining City: Canterlot seems to be an example of this.
- As noted above, Twilight quotes The Hobbit in an attempt to blend in a little better.
- A rather spot-on one for Kill Bill:
"Now, before I begin, I just want to say this: What Iím about to do might seem to be incredibly sadistic and hateful, but I swear that I feel no hatred at all towards you or your kind. In fact, if I were to be honest, this is me at my most masochistic, because I simply hate having to do this to a creature as beautiful as you."
- Another, in the form of Soarin's species the Khatru. It's rather obscure, with the name taken from the song "Siberian Khatru" by British progressive rock band Yes.
- One of the Starfleet professors is named Picard (doubles as a Mythology Gag).
- Sliding Scale of Anthropomorphism: They are Petting Zoo People.
- So Proud of You: Twilight's mother, Velvet, gives her such a speech upon seeing her enlist in The Federation.
- Species Loyalty: Twilight continually struggles with this, due to her half-Equestrian, half-Saddle Arabian origin. Doesn't help that she is often picked on due to her origins.
- Torture Technician: After Chrysalis' botched escape attempt, she is taken to a room and tortured by a griffin who not only seems to have no qualms with resorting to torture, but actually seems to enjoy it.
- "Well Done Daughter" Girl: Rainbow Dash and her relationship with her Disappeared Dad.