The Sonic the Hedgehog
franchise is, sadly, the poster child for the Broken Base
ever since the titular character grew up, got Suddenly Voiced
, etc. So, what better Milestone Celebration
than getting both incarnations of the blue blur speeding their way through memory lane? And The Fandom Rejoiced
... and reunited, for once!
- During the release of screenshots for Sonic The Hedgehog 4, the old-school fans kept on clamoring for Sonic's classic design, to which in response the Takashi Iizuka stated that they wouldn't be bringing him back. So you can imagine their reaction when the teaser trailer hit, and a certain you-know-who◊ appeared next to modern Sonic after he leapt off a cliff....
- The fact that classic Sonic would stay mute like how he was in the original games helped too.
- And then the gameplay trailer was released.
- Warren Graff and Ken Pontac are returning to write the story!
- For Nintendo fans: it will be coming to the 3DS.
- The return of City Escape and Rooftop Run.
- Mighty, Fang, and Ray returning!... sort of.
- Classic Metal Sonic has been confirmed◊ as a boss, but his racetrack is Stardust Speedway!
- Tails and his classic self are now confirmed!
- Modern Sonic can be in the water without drowning right away! ... wait a second...
- Seaside Hill calls back to Aquatic Ruin, Hydrocity, Emerald Coast, and Adabat! It isn't "Green Hill 2.0"!
- Shadow has been confirmed as a boss, but you fight him on the Space Colony ARK runway◊ just like in Sonic Adventure 2!
- The return of Planet Wisp and Sky Sanctuary, now with more Scenery Porn than ever!
- And now, the game will be available on Steam. Gamers without access to the HD consoles rejoiced.
- The reveal that both Past and Present Dr. Eggman's are in control of the Time Eater brought much rejoicing among the fans.
- Even more rejoicing ensued when a leaked cutscene showed Classic Tails actually referring to past!Eggman as "Robotnik".
- Then the Doctor informed Classic Tails that nobody calls him that anymore, the script seems to be written to give joy to people (Classic or/and Modern fans.) who appreciate the games and troll Fan Dumb "fans", for example, that don't know/acknowledge the reasons behind the use of both names... But thank god they made an effort to explain that indeed Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik it's just one guy.
- The music.
- The fact that they made Crisis City—one of the worst levels in the series' history—into a total blast with zero glitches, got this reaction, and is highly considered a Crowning Moment of Awesome.