- The return of SA-55, or Ergo, now officially known as Orbot! And he has a yellow cube-shaped companion now...◊
- Mike Pollock remaining as Eggman's voice actor.
- The reveal of a stage where Sonic goes into the water, and doesn't die!
- Can't help noticing that the gameplay is an awful lot like the daytime portion of Sonic Unleashed. Also can't help noticing that a full Sonic game consisting of that stellar gameplay with no werehog to bog things down is specifically word-for-word what many, many people wanted to see, so, uh, thanks for listening, Sega. You're a pal.
- The return of old-school Badniks.
- The writers of MadWorld did the actual script. The characters' lip flaps are synced up to the English voicetrack (the version that everybody outside Japan gets).
- Eggman's the final boss for the first time in a 3D Sonic game.
- Super Sonic is playable in every stage not only for the second time ever in a modern Sonic game, but also for the first time ever in a 3D Sonic title.
- The soundtrack has been released on iTunes!
And The Fandom Rejoiced / Sonic Colors
The first Sonic game to be specifically made for a Nintendo home console happened to be the most true to the series' roots in recent history. The sheer irony didn't detract to the equally sheer positive response to the game.