The printed word
doesn't have many ways to show that someone is a Physical God
, so when description fails, the guy just says so out loud
- Glory in the Thunder quotes the entire biblical passage in-text. Holders of Aspects of the Divinity are referred to as gods and tend to go mad with power, even though most of them are just as mortal as anyone else, and none are even close to omnipotence.
- In Apotheosis this is Adam's bag. He went mad when he learned that The Race, his creators, are extinct, built himself a distributed nanotech body, and went forth to convert all life in the universe to nanoclouds that worship Adam, and kill everyone who refused.
- Emperor Ozorne in The Immortals' third book, Emperor Mage. He all but bans worship in Carthak, saying that if the people need to pray, they pray to him. Given that gods in the Tortall Universe are real, and are tetchy, this doesn't go over well.
- Bleu, the muse of Sacré Bleu, once refers to herself as "a fucking goddess", and is not at all unjustified in doing so.
- The Sobornost Founders in The Quantum Thief-trilogy claim to have Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions, but that doesn't prevent them from having God-complexes the size of the Solar System, especially Matjek Chen, who seeks to recreate reality itself in his own image because he got angry at death as a child. They impose sensation called xiao on all their trillions of subjects that makes them feel religious awe towards them. Joséphine Pellegrini even has temples in her name and millions of pilgrims travel to the Fast Cities of Venus to sacrifice themselves for her. Even those who don't follow the Founders call them the Gods of the Inner System.