Desiring to start a family, the Duchess has come to San Lorenzo to adopt one of the orphans, and idea that nobody is particularly happy about.
- Happily Adopted: The main conflict of the episode is that nobody actually wants to see the orphans adopted and being forced to leave San Lorenzo. When Duchess realizes what a tightly knit family the orphans all are, she comes up with her own idea that makes everyone happy; she adopts all the orphans and also moves into the orphanage with them!
- Insane Troll Logic: Duchess is upset with Artephius for not telling her he was alive, and when Artephius tries to make amends by giving her gifts, she states nothing will make her forgive him. So he reasons that if he gets her nothing, she will forgive him.Puss Dos: Hi! I'm nothing!
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: When the Duchess points out that the San Lorenzo orphans should ostensibly be up for adoption, Dulcinea admits that the orphanage has existed in isolation for so long no one ever considered adoption to be an option.
- Springtime for Hitler: As the orphans don't want to be adopted they try their best to do poorly at the Duchess' games, but she is impressed by all of their half-hearted attempts.
- Tempting Fate: Puss deliberately tries to tempt fate, and is annoyed when nothing happens besides an earthquake. And a small earthquake is hardly a big deal, right?