Narrator tells Empath three stories about Gargamel's relatives that the Smurfs ran into on three separate occasions — his cousin Sagratamabarb, his other cousin Barbapapa, and his twin brother Gourmelin.
This story provides the following examples of:
- Adaptational Expansion: Scruple appears in two of the stories that originally appeared in the comic books.
- As the Good Book Says...: Tapper in the third story tells Sassette the parable of the rich man and Lazarus when she and Papa Smurf saw Gourmelin in the forest and thought he was Gargamel who had come back from Hell.
- Beach Episode: The middle story about the Smurfs meeting Barbapapa is this.
- Deal with the Devil: Gargamel makes one with Beelzebub that, if he helps him defeat Sagratamabarb, he would be his forever. Although Gargamel does defeat his cousin without Beelzebub's help, he still becomes Beelzebub's and is dragged off to Hell.
- Good Twin: Gourmelin is this to Gargamel.
- See You in Hell: Gargamel tells Sagratamabarb to go away and "see if the devil has any room for you." He returns shortly after with two demons as witness that the devil doesn't have any room for him.
- To Hell and Back: At the end of the first story, Gargamel is dragged off to Hell. By the middle of the third story, with the help of his twin brother Gourmelin and the Great Book of Spells, Gargamel returns from Hell, though acting as if he had never been to Hell in the first place.
- Wizard Duel: Gargamel vs. Sagratamabarb. Gargamel wins the duel, though it not only cost him his house, it also cost him his eternal soul.