The film takes place in the year 2022, during the events of the 2013 film. Blake Simmons and her fiancé, Colin Ford, are invited to the home of Blake's mother, Laurel, to wait out the night of the purge, however, it is a trap that was constructed to kill Blake and collect her life insurance the next day.
The film was originally slated for a Halloween release, but due to complications, the release date has been moved to March 21st, 2019, which is the date of the in-universe Purge.
The Purge: Survival contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: As stated in the summary, Blake's mother tries to kill her for her life insurance money.
- Adult Fear: Imagine going to your family's home with your significant other to wait out a murder holiday where you thought you'd be safe, only for it to be a death trap.
- Insurance Fraud: Blake's mother wants to kill her during The Purge and collect her life insurance money. The legality of this move is unclear because while it would be perfectly legal to kill her on Purge Night, it's never made clear if you could collect insurance on that.
- Fan Film: This is a fan film not connected to the official franchise or creators.
- Original Character: As well as canon characters (Leo Barnes, Charlie Roan, The Polite Leader and Big Daddy) there are characters in this film that are new to the franchise that are created for the film, like the protagonist and her family.