01:04:12 PM Apr 18th 2016
Would Aaron from undertale be an expy of Equius from Homestuck? Toby was involved with Homestuck before he made Undertale. Equius is a muscular troll who loves horses. Aaron is a muscular aquatic horse.
01:10:55 PM Apr 18th 2016
Probably a Shout-Out, I'd imagine.
08:14:32 AM Feb 9th 2013
Removed a bunch of Zero Context Examples. If they don't explain how they're expies, they aren't useful.
- Devilotte of Cyberbots was built as an expy of Doronjo from Yatterman. Lampshaded in Doronjo's ending in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, where she ends up going after Devilotte for stealing her gimmick.
- According to Word of God, Beowulf from Devil May Cry 3 was strongly inspired on the mythological demon Pazuzu.
- Spyro and Ember of Spyro the Dragon were originally designed as Sony's take on Sonic the Hedgehog characters like Sonic and Amy.
- Xoda from Noitu Love 2 is a female expy of Noitu from the first game, and Almond is a male expy of Lori from the first game.
- Senator Nick Richards from Tropico 4 was created as an expy for Richard Nixon.
- In the first Freddi Fish game, you can sometimes come across an Expy of Putt-Putt in fish form, who even shares the same first name as his voice actor.
- Kinoko Nasu has exported the majority of his characters from Kara no Kyoukai into newer works over time.
05:11:03 AM Jun 21st 2012
Reading through this, there are WAY too many examples where people add expies because they look similar, or have similar backstorys, etc. Basically, they have one part of the expy description, but all other aspects are completely differant. Can something be done about this?
05:19:59 AM Jun 21st 2012
Well, i am creating a thread in the Trope Repair Shop.
07:29:00 AM Jul 8th 2011
- Sakuya could be considered an expy of Yumeko from Mystic Square, the last of the first-generation Touhou games. Sure, her hair, eye, and clothing color are different and she lacks the timehax, but for there to be two knife-toting maids as stage 5 bosses and Battle Butlers in two consecutive games is awfully suspicious. But then, the first-generation Touhou games seem to have been all but forgotten by the creator.
- You shouldn't forget that Yumeko is sort of an expy of Mugetu from Lotus Land Story.
07:43:02 AM May 14th 2011
edited by MagBas
edited by MagBas
- Abore in Double Dragon II is an expy of Andre the Giant, with the Terminator's sunglasses and glowing red eyes.
- ...and Magus shares traits with both Vegeta (shares Vegeta's hairline and princely rank) and Piccolo (in name—he shares Piccolo's title of Daimaou in the Japanese version—and choice of clothing).