What If? the blog
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The post "Pressure Cooker," which described exploding pressure cookers among other things, came six days before somebody used a pair of pressure cookers filled with shrapnel to bomb the Boston Marathon.
- Schedule Slip: There have been at least two extended periods (one from April to July 2015, and one from September 2015 to January 2016) where Randall has not updated the blog with little explanation, although evidence suggests that both periods are/were connected to book releases (one of which was the What If compilation).
- Squick: The "mole of moles".
What If? the comic book
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Plenty of scenarios in the comic actually happened as time went on - Spider-Man joined the Fantastic Four in the Hickman run, Hulk became a barbarian in the Planet Hulk series, Comic-Book Time means that Captain America was probably revived decades after "What if Cap were revived today?", Elektra's survival has been retconned in...
- The joke scenario in #34, "What if Every Avenger Remained an Avenger", depicts the silliness of an Avengers team with dozens of members. Ever since Civil War, that lineup has looked downright sparse.
- Harsher in Hindsight/ "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: "What if Spiderman Had Not Married Mary Jane" became more like a canon after the release of "One More Day" in 2007.
- What if Jane Foster Had Found the Hammer of Thor? That'll never catch on.