Wrestling: Prime Time Players
The Prime Time Players
are a professional wrestling tag team, consisting of Titus O'Neil
and Darren Young
, who wrestle in WWE
both getting their start on WWE NXT
, Darren during the first season, and Titus during the second, and both of them competing during the 5th season. The duo, who initially opposed each other in several matches, have managed to twice become the number one contenders for the WWE Tag Team Championship. As the team name suggests, their gimmick portrays them as young, brash, and cocky, dubbing themselves as "The Real Deal" and "Mr. No Days Off", respectively. Former WWE wrestler Shad Gaspard has accused the team of basing their gimmick off his former team Cryme Tyme, albeit without the "gangster style" and bling-bling fashion.
They split up on January 31st, 2014, as Titus turned on Young after a tag match, calling Young dead weight.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Millions of tropes! Millions of tropes! Millions of tropes!":
- Afro Asskicker/Funny Afro: Darren Young.
- Ambiguously Gay/Camp Straight: Darren Young comes off as a bit flamboyant.
- It's not so ambiguous anymore as Darren came out in an interview with TMZ.
- Animal Motifs: Titus belonged to the Omega Psi Phi fraternity, also known as the Q-Doggs, which is where he gets his barks.
- Artistic License – Geography: During the 12/23/13 Raw in Austin (this is important,) Darren Young (who usually leaves the talking to Titus,) asked if he could cut a promo before the match. Titus lets him, he raises the mic to speak, and the first word out of his mouth was "Houston." The commentators mention this is why he doesn't talk much, their opponents the Usos milked it for all it was worth, and the crowd ate it up, chanting "Houston sucks!" and turning the WWE's typical "This is Awesome!" chant into "This is Austin!"
- Bald of Awesome/Bald of Evil: Titus's plate is particularly shiny.
- The Brute: Titus, most definitely.
- Bullying a Dragon: "Big Zeke ain't got not cuts! Big Zeke ain't got no cuts! He's big, he's strong, but he ain't got no cuts!"
- Catch Phrase: "Millions of dollars!"
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Their trunks (and Darren's knee pads) are always identical colors.
- Demoted to Extra: Darren was part of The Nexus, main-evented SummerSlam 2010, but was kicked out of The Nexus when he failed to win a match in order to stay in the group, and promptly disappeared from TV. He then showed up on WWE NXT season 5, and lasted there for over a year, before he was moved to Smackdown with Titus.
- Even Evil Has Standards: They may be heels, but they've done some decent things, like helping Mae Young when she was giving birth, breaking up a brawl between John Cena and Dolph Ziggler, and joining the fight for Santa after Alberto Del Rio ran him over.
- Expy: Their antics bear a resemblance to Edge and Christian.
- As noted above, Shad Gaspard claims they're based on Cryme Tyme.
- Face-Heel Turn: Titus after he had enough of the neverending season 5 and his pro Hornswoggle.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Darren Young, he was a face on NXT season 1, turn heel with The Nexus, had a face turn after leaving, then turned heel again during the fifth season of NXT.
- Titus also qualifies. Started as a face, turned heel in the middle of Redemption, went back to being a face when Darren Young came out, then turned on Darren months later.
- Heel-Face Turn: After Darren Young came out, as WWE couldn't really have their first openly gay wrestler be stuck as a heel jobber.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: One of their Signature Moves involves Titus front-suplexing Darren onto a prone opponent.
- Happy Dance / Catch Phrase : "MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!"
- The Hero Sucks Song: See Bullying a Dragon.
- Identical Stranger: Two different cases. Young, mainly because of his build and facial features, manages to look like a black version of John Cena. O'Neil bears more than a passing resemblance to WWE's Guyanese strongman, Ezekiel Jackson. This was of course Lampshaded during a YouTube Q&A vid.
- Large Ham: Titus.
- Love Triangle: Thanks to Tamina, but it did not break up the team.
- Odd Friendship: He and Titus are implied to have one with Mark Henry.
- Precision F-Strike: Titus O'Neil dropped the actual F-bomb in a match against Sheamus.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Even before they switched to a rather glaring hot pink, most of their trunks since their team-up have been really bright colors.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Titus and Darren both consider themselves to be worth "Millions of dollars."
- Something Completely Different: The revived tag division consists mostly of high flyers and other smaller, quicker types. Out of this pair, however, Darren Young's just a hair (perhaps literally) under 240. And he's easily the smaller of the two.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- Each has scored a pinfall over Jack Swagger - that's multiple-time singles champion Jack Swagger.
- Even before that, Young holding his own for over 10 minutes with CM Punk
- Villain Team-Up: Titus and Darren with Abraham Washington. Titus tried to get his friend Percy Watson to turn as well, but to no avail.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Forced into a match against Antonio Cesaro on 11/29/13 after an eating contest, Titus shows that the food's not settling in well. Darren interferes in the match to get help for his friend...only for Titus to throw up in JBL's hat and throwing up on Zeb Coulter.
- And you know what the funny thing is? That wasn't scripted. Titus O'Neil explained in an interview that he can vomit on command. Not even Vince McMahon knew of it!