The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol
is a 22-minute Christmas Special
featuring The Smurfs
that is co-produced by Sony Pictures Animation and Duck Studios. It was first released as part of the 3-disc DVD/Blu-Ray bundle of The Smurfs
movie. It features the voice talents of George Lopez, Fred Armisen, Anton Yelchin, Gary Basaraba, Hank Azaria, and Frank Welker from the film series, with Jack Angel
as Papa Smurf and Melissa Sturm
It is now followed by The Smurfs: The Legend of Smurfy Hollow
This animated feature provides examples of
- Acid Reflux Nightmare: Grouchy tells the Smurf of Christmas Past that she's just a figment of his indigestion.
- All Just a Dream: Most likely the whole 2D animation sequence.
- Art Shift: It switches from 3D CGI to 2D animation during the sequence when Grouchy is visited by the Smurfs of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Possibly lampshaded by Grouchy when he looks at himself and notices how different he appears, saying that his stomach's looking "flat".
- Ash Face: Grouchy when he opens Jokey's Christmas "surprise" present, thinking it's the hang glider he's getting.
- Bad Future: The Smurf of Christmas Future shows Grouchy what his hatred of Christmas will cause when he reveals that on Christmas Day, all the Smurfs will be captured by Gargamel.
- Christmas Episode: To The Smurfs film series.
- Collapsing Bookshelf: Grouchy tries and fails to escape this when Azrael chases after him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Grouchy.
- Disaster Dominoes: The Smurf of Christmas Present shows that, if Grouchy doesn't show up to do his part at decorating the Christmas tree, Clumsy will volunteer, resulting in this.
- Earn Your Less Grouchy Ending: Grouchy does this to avert the Bad Future trope.
- Exposed to the Elements: The Smurfs are hardly affected by winter as the only protection they ever wear is a scarf and Fingerless Gloves.
- Foo Fu: Grouchy tells his chimney-crawling visitor (who turns out to be the Smurf of Christmas Past) that he has a blue belt in Smurf Fu.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Even Gargamel has them.
- Good Is Not Nice: The Smurf Of Christmas Future leaves Grouchy to be chased after by Gargamel and Azrael.
Hefty/Smurf Of Christmas Future: "On the bright side, looks like you all get to spend one last Christmas together after all."
Gargamel: "Merry Christmas...to me!"
- The Grinch: Grouchy Smurf starts off as this because all he wanted was a hang glider for a Christmas present and all he ever got was a Smurf hat. The final straw came when he was fooled into thinking he was finally getting a hang glider when it turned out to be one of Jokey's "surprises".
- Grumpy Bear: Grouchy, who becomes less of this by the story's end.
- Heel-Face Turn: Grouchy.
- I Hate Past Me: Grouchy with the Smurf Of Christmas Past: "Past me is so annoying."
- In the Hood: Hefty as the Smurf of Christmas Future, at first.
- I've Got an X and I'm Not Afraid to Use It: Grouchy: "I...I've got a blue belt in...in Smurf Fu and...and I'm not afraid to use it!"
- My New Gift Is Lame: Grouchy's gift of a Smurf hat (which is what every other Smurf gets) is considered lame to him, because he was expecting a hang glider. Even worse is that it's the same gift that he gets every year, up until the time Jokey fooled him with one of his surprises, leading to his rant about the gift.
"Isn't Christmas about getting what you want? Well, I want a hang glider! Why do I even bother to celebrate Christmas if all I ever get is THIS — the same old boring useless hat!? I mean, how many hats does a Smurf need?"
- Nice Hat: Grouchy finds out that his new Smurf hat can also be used as a glider.
- This may have been foreshadowed by Papa Smurf tossing Grouchy's hat into the air and watching it float downward.
- Non-Fatal Explosions: Jokey's "surprise" notably doesn't go BOOM! but HONK! when Grouchy opens it.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Grouchy: "I! HATE! HATS!" And before that..."I! HATE! CHRISTMAS!"
- Ring Ring Crunch: Grouchy gives his alarm clock a single fist pound to shut it off.
- Rule of Three
- Slipping a Mickey: Papa Smurf's "Christmas spirit" slips itself into the smurfberry nog that Grouchy drinks to make him fall asleep on the floor. Or so he thinks.
- Smurf Snowman: Grouchy becomes one due to a snowball fight. Earlier, Brainy becomes one when Grouchy slams his door and dumps snow off the roof of his house.
- Tempting Fate: After the Disaster Dominoes shown by the Smurf of Christmas Present seemed to end, Clumsy commented that at least the tree didn't get on fire.
- This Cannot Be!: Grouchy's reaction to the Bad Future shown to him.
- Tongue on the Flagpole: A Smurf tries to lick an icicle and gets his tongue stuck on it. He is seen dancing with the other Smurfs with the icicle still stuck on his tongue.
- Under The Mistletoe: Smurfette sees a line of Smurfs waiting to be kissed under the mistletoe.
- Yet Another Christmas Carol