Western Animation: Mosaic
A direct-to-video animated movie presented by Stan Lee. An aspiring actress, Maggie Nelson, must track down her father, an Interpol agent, who has been taken by members of the underground, special-powered race called the Chameliel. Aided by Mosaic, a Chamelial himself, Maggie searches for him and learns to deal with her own special powers, given to her through a freak accident.Can be viewed full-length for free on its official web site.
- Art Shift: The opening titles look more like a graphic novel, as opposed to the film's more traditional animation style.
- Badass Longcoat: Mosaic
- Betty and Veronica: Mosaic vs. Stephen.
- Expy: Some people have noted that Maggie is an interesting combination of Spider-Man, Mystique, and the Invisible Woman.
- Mosaic himself looks a lot like Angel.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Maggie and Mannequin.
- Mosaic and Maggie's dad have their moments too.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Mosaic ends up taking Manniquin down a cliff with him.
- Hidden Elf Village: Chimera, the Chamelial's island home. However it was destroyed long ago in a volcanic eruption.
- Love Triangle: Between Maggie, Stephan and Mosaic.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Mosaic is the son of Manniquin, the movie's Big Bad.
- Miss Exposition: Maggie takes a moment at a park to basically summarize the plot up until that point... out loud, to nobody(?) She might have just been collecting her thoughts, but the fact they animated her lips makes it confusing.
- Monumental Damage: The Capuchin Crypt. By chipping away at a couple of STONE supports with a staff, no less.
- Plot Coupon: The artifacts of the chamelial.
- Shout-Out: To Spider-Man
- One of the forms taken by Mannequin resembles The Lizard, a Spider-Man villain (and Stan Lee creation.)
- Mosaic's death seems awfully close to Sherlock Holmes and his temporary death.
- Shown Their Work: There really is a crypt full of monks' skeletons.
- Title Drop: There is a character named Mosaic, but curiously he's not the main character (Maggie is.) She does adopt his name after his death at the very end, however.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: There's an attempted rape scene in the movie (which Maggie prevents.)
- Also, several characters die in the film including Mosaic.
- Won The Superpower Lottery: Maggie gained several powers beyond those of a chameleon (or the chamelial's.) For example, she could see the DNA of people and animals and imitate their forms.
- Curiously, the only chameleon power she doesn't use is an stretching tongue.