Ezio: I cannot seem to leave my past behind me. I started this act of my life so late Sofia. I knew I would not have time to do everything. Now I worry I don't have enough time to do anything.Assassin's Creed: Embers
is an animated short by Ubiworkshop set in the Assassin's Creed
universe. It details the final days of legendary Master Assassin Ezio Auditore.
After the events of Revelations
, Ezio retired
from his former life to live in peace and raise a family with Sofia. Age has finally caught up to the former Assassin and he feels his time on this world grows short. His life takes a turn for the less mundane when it is interrupted by the sudden arrival of a female Assassin. The young Shao Jun desires his guidance on how best to lead and rebuild her order in China. However Ezio wants nothing to do with the lifestyle he put behind him.
The short was included with both the signature and collector editions
of Assassin's Creed: Revelations
- Action Girl: Shao Jun
- Adult Fear: Ezio telling his daughter Flavia to stay where he can see her, then seeing her take Shao Jun's (who is then still a complete stranger) hand and walking away with her. He doesn't react well.
- Even more frightening is that, by this point, Ezio is an old man and is unable to run as well as he used to; he has difficultly catching up with them. Had Shao Jun been an enemy out to hurt Flavia instead of an ally, it would have been easy for her to just run away with the girl.
- The Apprentice: Before the events of Embers, Jun was this to her mentor before he was killed and now seeks Ezio's guidance to rebuild her order.
- Badass Grandpa / Cool Old Guy: Even with his best years behind him Ezio is still able to hold his own against men a fraction of his age. Even better than Yun around a third of his age. To Compare, Ezio takes out 5 with relatively little effort and she struggles with two.
- Big Fancy House Ezio's Villa/Vineyard. Turns out he kept all that money players collected in the games.
- The Brute: The Mook with the portable cannon. Getting stabbed in the eye barely slows him down.
- Book Ends: Ezio began his life as an Assassin when his family was executed and in this epilogue of his story dies in the exact same plaza.
- Black Cloak: Shao Jun wears one, even during the day.
- Born Into Slavery: Shao Jun reveals her mentor saved her from this life after she was born into being one of the Emperors concubines. The Emperor also had the tendency to slowly torture his concubines to death.
- Continuity Nod: Embers is full of nods to familiar features of the games. The sweeper dropping a broom at the beginning, walls with clear climbing routes up them (including staircases of sheet-covered boxes), common NPCs walking around (e.g. the architect in Florence) as well as a few noticeable sound effects. Machiavelli is also mentioned.
- Cool Sword: Jun's weapon of choice, a jian.
- Eye Scream: Ezio leaps from the roof of his villa, stabbing The Brute in the eye. It barely even slows him down.
- Go Out with a Smile: Ezio dies in his home city watching his beloved wife and daughter happily go about their shopping near-by with a broad smile on his face.
- Grumpy Old Man: Ezio is initially like this towards Jun.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Shao Jun is terrible at blending in, as are her pursuers. One wonders what they teach the Assassins in China. One possible justification is they are clearly not natives and blending in is pointless given they stick out like sore thumbs.
- Incurable Cough of Death: The elderly Ezio suffers from this.
- Informed Flaw: Invoked in the house fight to keep Ezio awesome but vulnerable; Ezio kills three guys with a Goddamned fire poker, but promptly follows up his awesome flip-throw move by grabbing his back and gasping a little.
- Improvised Weapon: Few but an Assassin could wield a poker with such deadly effect.
- The Last Dance: Embers refers to Ezio's "fire" burning one last time before it goes out for good.
- Living Legend: Ezio has become this among his fellow Assassins despite his retirement.
- The Mentor: The reason why Shao Jun sought out Ezio. He has guided two branches of the order to prosperity and glory against their enemies. Ezio eventually accepts this role in the end, passing on his words of wisdom.
- Passing the Torch: In the final act, Ezio hands over his wisdom to the young Shao Jun and also gifts her a small box. The contents remain a mystery.
- The Purge: Jiajing managed to kill or drive out most of the Chinese Assassins.
- Soft Glass / Super Window Jump: Played straight when an elderly Ezio dives through a window to escape attackers.
- Young and in Charge: Shao Jun intends to rebuild and lead the order in China, despite being only nineteen.