This film provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: There are cutscenes with the flies' worried parents throughout. Nat's mother even faints, in fear of what could happen to her child.Scooter's Mother: Oh, if something happens to them, I'll never forgive myself...
IQ's Mother: I always told I.Q., never go beyond the fence!
- Artistic License – Biology: So now flies can live for several decades and not all fly "children" are maggots?
- Big Bad: Comrade Poopchamp.
- Big Eater: Scooter. His friends convince him to go on a diet once they return to Earth, but his dialogue makes it clear he won't stick with it for long.
- Color-Coded Characters: Nat's spacesuit is blue, I.Q.'s is green, and Scooter's is red.
- Cool Old Guy: Grandpa McFly.
- Disney Death: A brief one after the protagonists get sprayed by the astronauts.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This exchange near the beginning:Bug #1: I've been trying to watch my weight. You never know what kind of crap they put in these things.
Bug #2: It's a dung heap, stupid! There's nothing BUT crap in it!
- Heel–Face Turn: Nadia. She even comes to America all the way from Russia just to meet Grandpa McFly again.
- It's All My Fault: Nat during the other two's Disney Death.
- Reality Ensues: Those three flies really shouldn't have thought they would get to the moon without a hitch.