Website / StarDestroyer.net
is a Star Wars
vs Star Trek
website started in 1998 by a Canadian engineer named Mike Wong (forum handle "Darth Wong"). Compares the strengths and weaknesses of both franchises, examining them with real science. The site has been inactive for some time, but the forum is still active. Also the source of the Trek/Wars fic Conquest
Provides examples of:
- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate/Hypothetical Fight Debate: Who would win in a fight between the Enterprise and a Star Destroyer? That would be the Star Destroyer of course.
- Deconstruction: They poke holes in the Federation utopia idea, and Mike Wong writes at length about how the small towns he's lived in are not the idyllic paradises the movies portray them as.
- Fan Fic: Has an entire subsection dedicated to them, and hosts a few notable fics. For example: Once More with Feeling and Thousand Shinji.
- Fight Unscene: Lampshaded in the "recapture colony" scenario, where the second option (likely solution by actual series writers) is "budget cannot handle massive ground battles, rewritten to have the Defiant clear the way for troop transports instead".
- Fridge Brilliance: Wong argues this when noting holes in the Trade Federation's droid army, as a shipping company, he argues their enemies wouldn't be a fully fledged army.
- Fun with Acronyms: The sex&rel forum is titled Adult Relationships & Sex Education.
- Kangaroo Court: The moderators sometimes write one up for people who are to be banned from the forum. This is mostly for the entertainment value: if you're getting one, the moderators and admins have already decided among themselves that you're going to be banned for violating forum rules (and the "trial record" will contain links to the offending posts).
- Logical Fallacies: The main site has an essay on several of the most common ones, and the forum has a rule against using them.
- Network Decay: Qualifies for Slipped. The main site is still focused on Wars v. Trek, but that matchup is currently a sub-sub-forum on the boards. Stylistically it's the same as it always was (substance over style), but the content has expanded to everything from technical and physics breakdowns of the latest 40k novel to exchanging recipes.
- Plot Tumor: Wong goes into detail on how many themes in Star Trek changed over time when one persistent little idea (which he calls "brain bugs") took over with time.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny:
- United Federation of Planets and the Galactic Empire went to war. The Empire comes out on top due to drastic advantages in canonical firepower, numbers, and industrial capacity, as well as a distinct lack of morals and a better selection of ground weapons.note The main site is centered around the question of who would win if the
- Meanwhile, the forums debate all manner of other X versus Y matchups (everything from the Imperium of Man versus the Yuuzhan Vongnote to Airwolf versus the Bayformersnote ).
- Your Magic's No Good Here: Site rules for versus debates avert this: each side's phlebotinum is decreed to work just as well in the other side's setting as it does in their own.