The latest comic written by Immelmann of Concession
fame, The Black Dogs
is a Cosmic Horror Furry Comic
that takes place in an alternate version of Pharonic Egypt with mid-21st century technology.
Contains examples of:
- Chekhov's Gun: Julia's camera phone, or rather its automatic upload to her home computer
- Combat Tentacles: With fangs.
- Eldritch Abomination: The yet-unnamed black masses that form tentacles or eyes or teeth seemingly at will.
- Expy: Subverted, Julia and Melissa resemble the female alter-egos of Joel and Matt from Concession superficially. But their personalities have little resemblance.
- First Contact: With the Martians in 2006.
- Held Back in School: Julia was in high school for five years, though the cast page suggests it was solely due to her problems with authority.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Julia is given drugged coffee to make her forget the events of that night.
- Lovecraft Lite: They seem to have beaten the creatures, at least temporarily, with only a couple faceless guards lost.
- The Men in Black: Two of them in issue #2
- Multi-Ethnic Name: Melissa Eric Ripley Khainouda, her father as well.
- Orifice Invasion: The artifact entities take over hosts by shoving themselves in the victim's mouth.
- Puppeteer Parasite: The idols jump into people and control them.
- Recruiting the Criminal: The eponymous Black Dog is a serial-killing dog spirit whose murder of two detectives influenced the other two to form the Order of the Black Dog to fight against supernatural threats. Ironically, another supernatural entity convinces her to start hunting EldritchAbominations for better sport, and then joins the order. So now the criminal whose killing spree started the Black Dog organization is working under them.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The creature of the first two issues was dormant until Julia moved a stone knife thing embedded in one piece. Putting it back in ossified the thing. Now it's stored in an old bomb shelter.
- Title Drop: "...and you're going to help me restart The Order of The Black Dog."
- 20 Minutes into the Future: There's lunar bases and cutting-edge smartphones are headsets with 128 GB of memory. This page indicates 2037.
- Vagina Dentata: Rhoda saw some.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Readers have a tendency to mistake Sedjet, the long-haired gay fennec, for a girl.
- The Unintelligible: "Alexander Avery", the bluejay MIB, speaks in a series of musical tones, his partner Dominic (the raccoon) understands him though.note