Webcomic / The Angry Dead
Welcome to the Zombie Apocalypse
. We get to watch as the teenager Ryan struggles to survive and prove his worth to the other survivors he's teamed up with-
...oh wait, he just got infected.The Angry Dead
) is a webcomic by Tauhid Bondia that kicks off in the middle of said zombie apocalypse. While initially it seems fairly cliche, a lot of the common zombie tropes get twisted and subverted. However, no matter what else, there are still the living dead. And they're angry.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: A lot of information about the characters is found on the site's character page, including Birdie's real name (Francine).
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Despite not actually being related to any members of the group, Benji fills the role, especially for Birdie.
- Batter Up: Birdie's approach to fighting zombies.
- Cake Eater: If Ryan's dreams are anything to go by, he has a crush on Nora. He's a (former) high school student, she's a registered nurse. Do the math.
- The Cameo: The other pair of survivors consists of another webcomic artist and a fan artist. Their role was later expanded.
- Cowardly Lion: Ryan. He's self-aware enough to know this, despite him being The Ditz.
- Crowbar Combatant: Ryan, not that it helps him.
- Decoy Protagonist: The first arc goes a long way towards spelling out the conflict as Ryan trying to prove his worth to the other survivors. However, he gets infected trying to save his dog, setting up for the real protagonist: Birdie.
- The Ditz: Ryan, of course.
- Erotic Dream: The comic begins with Ryan having one about Nora. We then see a zombie trying to eat Ryan's (still-booted) foot.
- Expository Hair Style Change: Birdie undoes her ponytail after Ryan's infection, leaving the scrunchie she used to hold it up behind with him. This also serves double duty (see Expy below).
- Expy: Unintentional (supposedly), but the artist admitted that he basically drew Birdie as an older Vanellope Von Schweetz. To change this, he found a way to have her alter her hairstyle.
- Face Death with Dignity: Ryan does this after being infected. He insists that Birdie not Mercy Kill him, just to avoid putting her through further grief.
- Gentle Giant: Jermaine, in contrast to Rodney.
- In Medias Res: Despite the fake-out opening (see Slept Through the Apocalypse below), the comic kicks off several weeks after the zombie apocalypse has begun.
- It's All My Fault: Birdie's reaction to Ryan getting infected.
- Little Miss Snarker: Birdie is a slightly older version, but still fits due to being small and skinny.
- Mercy Kill: Birdie attempts to do this to Ryan, but he talks her out of it, due to how broken it would leave her.
- Off with His Head!: Birdie does this to a zombie...with a baseball bat.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Birdie. Her real name is only revealed on the site's character sheet, and nowhere else.
- Scary Black Man: Rodney, a hard-edged ex-marine.
- Slept Through the Apocalypse: The first few strips imply Ryan did this, with a zombie breaking into the room where he's sleeping. It's a subversion, as he's just a heavy sleeper and forgot to secure the room.
- Team Mom: You'd think it would be Nora, the nurse? Nope, it's really Birdie.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: So far there is the larger group of seven (now six) survivors, and the other pair. They are linked in that the larger group's plan to leave the hotel inadvertently drew zombies to where the pair was.
- Wrench Whack: Benji's approach to fighting zombies involves leaping on their backs, then doing this. Keep in mind he's eight.
- Zombie Apocalypse