The Abominable Charles Christopher is an ongoing, Eisner award winning, webcomic series starring an Abominable Snowman, supported by a surprisingly rich cast of animal characters. The comic's world is rendered in a realistic style, along with all the personal styling that adds emotion to the characters who populate it. The main story arc following Charles' journey to an unclear destination occasionally shifts to soft, comedic glimpses of forest life.
The Abominable Charles Christopher contains examples of:
- Animalistic Abomination: Humbaba.
- Armor-Piercing Question: "A better question, Vivol, is... why are you inside yours?"
- Blatant Lies:
- Berserk Button: Charles does not like Bear Traps. Or anything that even vaguely resembles one. Like a lion's jaws. We dare you to kick an already dead animal in the presence of Charles. Just try !
- Breather Episode: There are usually two or three comedic strips focusing on the forest animals interspersed with the usually heavier strips focusing on Charles.
- Butt Monkey: The father bird.
- By-the-Book Cop: Luga.
- Calvin Ball: The game the otters watch.
- Cute Mute: Moon bear.
- Dissimile:Rabbit: You know, I've always wondered, how do you tell the difference between a newt and a salamander?
Newt: The differences are pretty subtle. We newts tend to have rougher skin and spend most of our adult lives in water, while salama-
Salamander: I am the eater of starlight. I begin with the spark and end in ash. I, dear rabbit, am fire embodied.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot: There definitely is a major plot (and a couple of intriguing sub-plots) in motion, but the precise details remain hard to pin down due to the extremely enigmatic nature of some of the entities involved.
- No Indoor Voice: The human King. As evidenced by his SQUARE speech bubbles.
- Physical God: The Lion and the Raven. And possibly the Moon Bear. Although she might be an angel.
- Scenery Porn: All the strips are incredibly well drawn and detailed.
- Schizo Tech: There are metal traps and the first weapon seen is a rifle...but the human city Charles approaches has a working portcullis and the first human (at least we think it's human) we see is armed with swords.
- Shout-Out: There is a troupe of forest animals that performs a number of human plays and movies, from The Godfather to West Side Story. Example!
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: The human king Gilgamesh gives one to the monstrous Humbaba via a stalactite to the eye.
- Take That:
- Tempting Fate:
- The Grim Reaper: The Raven
- Third-Person Person: Vivol usually refers to himself in the third person.
- Wham Episode:
- Whole Plot Reference:Quite possibly with The Epic of Gilgamesh. Besides the modern city-state, the human king is actually called Gilgamesh, and Charles Christopher has been sent to stop him, just like Enkidu (another half-man/half-beast character) had been in the original story.