Webcomic / Ron Planet
Created by Matt Chapman (of Homestar Runner
fame) and Craig Zobel (director of Compliance
and Great World of Sound
), Ron Planet
is a webcomic
that takes place circa 2040. It centers on Ron Planet, the last astronaut on Earth, and his lame life (i.e., cleaning up vomit in space). However, everything changes when a now dirt-poor NASA approaches him to solve a problem related to microwave popcorn.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Ron is a Type II; all the other important characters fall under Type I.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning Tang around Dr. Eggleston
- Character Title
- The Chew Toy: Ron.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Blonde Hair and Red Hair.
- Crapsack World: The most realistic one ever.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ron
- Determinator: Sidecar
- Don't Explain the Joke: "Ron Planet Astronauting: 'Cause planets are in space!"
- "Those were the names of some famous satellites"
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: While there's technically no actual monkey, the concept art features a huge gorilla...and claims that the word, gorilla, can be used as an adjective.
- Greek Chorus: Blonde Hair and Red Hair
- He Knows Too Much: Ron's theory on how the moon people feel about Eggleston.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen:
- All astronauts; once space travel became too common, the once-romanticized career became a joke.
- NASA itself has been reduced to one guy and two on-loan government agents.
- In-Series Nickname: Carlos, aka "Sidecar".
- Jaded Washout: Ron fits all the criteria, with the exception of laziness.
- Jumped at the Call: Sidecar.
- Meaningful Name: "'Cause planets are in space!"
- Ms. Exposition: The old lady who explains the strip's concept of an astronaut to the little boy.
- Only Sane Man: While definitely not normal note , Ron seems to have a much better grasp on the world around him than his colleagues.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Seems to be going in this direction
- Refusal of the Call: Ron.
- Schedule Slip
- Self-Deprecation: Ron, sometimes.
- Squeaky Eyes: Dr. Eggleston. His blinks are audible.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future
- What Could Have Been: It was originally going to be a movie, and came this close to being produced; then, the financiers backed out, so Matt and Craig decided to revive it as a webcomic...in the hopes that it gets popular enough to do the movie after all.
- X Meets Y: Space Cowboys meets Invader Zim meets Homestar Runner.