Webcomic: Metroid: Third Derivative
"This whole planet is a bad day."Metroid: Third Derivative is a Metroid-themed Sprite Comic created by Reynard in December 2003 and hosted by Bob and George. The comic takes place some time after Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Samus Aran has traced the Phazon to its source planet and she travels there to eliminate the source of Phazon once and for all.
— Samus Aran
Metroid: Third Derivative contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Mother Brain for Ridley.
- Abnormal Ammo: The Kinetic Beam, Phase Beam, and the Mega Missile are just a few of the weapons Samus wields.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Samus with the Morph Ball up until Phazon corruption damaged her Varia Suit and required emergency repairs destroying the Morph Ball in the process.
- Another Dimension: Subverted by Samus blowing up a time portal with a Super Missile.Samus: "I'll jump into most swirling vortexes, but I draw the line at time travel."
- Arm Cannon: Samus's signature weapon capable of firing various beam and missile weaponry.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Subverted so far as Kraid seems to be unable to leave his room.
- Backtracking: Lampshaded by Samus when Joey asked if they are lost upon revisting a location.Samus: "We are backtracking. Is that understood?"
- Bag of Spilling: Because of the Phazon-intense nature of Nemesis, Samus had to reconfigure her Power Suit for the toxic environment that rendered much of her equipment incompatible with the new reconfiguration.
- Big Bad: Dark Samus. She has a vendetta against Samus due to the events of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
- Big Damn Heroes: Joey during Samus's first battle against Dark Samus.
- Body Horror: Those unfortunate to be infected by Phazon and survive. Also in a Call Back, JD gives the excuse that the Morph Ball project of the Space Pirates referenced in Metroid Prime was revived.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Squish. Thanks to grabbing Dark Samus during her original battle against Samus, Dark Samus was able to brainwash him and sic him against Samus. Also B'yayk thanks to Phazon corruption.
- Choose Your Own Adventure: In this strip. Don't cheat now.
- Colon Cancer: Parodied in this filler comic.
- The Corruption: Phazon. It can kill most lifeforms, but those resistant to it may mutate and/or be given new abilities.
- The Corrupter: Dark Samus. Any being that comes into contact with her can be controlled into doing her bidding. The Phazon also counts.
- Cyberspace: When Samus seeks JD's help to fix her Varia Suit, he has to upload her mind to his computer so that he can fix the suit. To help her pass the time, JD asks Samus to take on the Space Pirate training program.
- Deus ex Machina: Referenced and later explained by Samus after Joey's Big Damn Heroes moment.
- Eldritch Location: Nemesis as named by Samus. She identified it at the source of all Phazon with the core of the planet being pure Phazon while the atmosphere and various landmasses that float above it having heavy concentrations of Phazon. A ring of Phazon meteors circle the planet destined to be thrown into space and affect other planets. Lifeforms not resistant to Phazon will die quickly on Nemesis.
- Filler Strips: In addition to random filler, there are special "Logfile Filler" comics that expand on certain parts of the story and give insight into how Samus is doing status-wise.
- I Am Not Leonard Nimoy: JD is a pseudonym he gave himself for Samus's benefit, named for whom he determined to be the greatest pirate in human history: Johnny Depp.
- I'm Melting: Samus stalls a Pirate long enough for the Phazon to melt down most of its body. Samus later "feeds" it to the Phazon completing the meltdown.
- Left Hanging / Orphaned Series: Unfortunately updates to the comic have ceased, so we may never know if Samus ever completes her mission.
- Long List: In a parody of Metroid's Bag of Spilling, there's a long list of equipment lost when Samus reconfigured her Power Suit for the Phazon-intense environment of Nemesis.
- Medium Awareness: When Samus battles the Space Pirates, she comments about the music found when you battle Space Pirates in the Metroid Prime series.Samus (thinking): "Wait...the annoying music hasn't stopped." *realizes there's a Pirate left alive* "Crap."
- Powered Armor: Just like in the Metroid series, Samus has her Power Suit and it helps protect her from harm as long as Samus has Energy in her Energy Tanks. Samus can increase her suit's capabilities by collecting upgrades or scanning things in the local environment.
- Red Shirt: Played with Joey asking for red paint so he can paint a Redshirt on all the other degenerates for being stupid in combat.
- Ride of the Valkyries: Samus and a whole pack of Phazon Zoomers invade a Space Pirate facility to this theme.
- Space Pirates: Led by Mother Brain and Ridley. They mainly work on Nemesis to utilize Phazon for their nefarious ends.
- Speech Bubbles: Every character has their own font, color, and text effect for speech. When JD impersonates Joey to frame him, the former takes on Joey's font, color, and text effect.
- The Virus: Nemesis itself. It spawns countless Phazon meteors that are thrown into space destined to affect other planets.
- Your Mind Makes It Real / Deadly Training Area: After being uploaded to JD's computer and given a training program as a challenge, Samus asks if she dies during the program, would she die in the real world too. JD says no, that would be stupid and such a thing would go against the training program's purpose. This doesn't stop Mother Brain from hijacking the simulation in an attempt to break Samus.