The whole cast!Frivolesque
is a slice of life webcomic by Etienne Dez, starting in March 2013, about an ordinary everyday girl surrounded by weirdos. Or is it the story of an lonely, introverted woman living in her own imaginary world, struggling to deal with those intruding into her life? Could it about a superhuman fighter experiencing some difficulties adjusting to everyday life? Or the story of an obsessive fan-girl and her eternal quest for love? It might even be about a black ops agent trying to mingle with normal people...
Updating every Monday, Frivolesque follows the Japanese 4-Koma format and is about the everyday life of five different girls with different backgrounds created by Etienne Dez along the years. The grounded optimist Chloé, the quiet introvert Flore, the obsessive fujoshi Marie-Neige, the fighting tomboy, Gaia, and the secret operative, Saki.
Frivolesque contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Saki... my god... Saki. Gaia to a lesser extent.
- Amazonian Beauty: Gaia Maguire. The other girls admire her strength and good (if slightly rough) looks.
- Emotionless Girl : Flore never smiles and has heavy bangs hiding her eyebrows, making her look quite emotionless and distant, and a tad creepy as well. Everyone in-universe seems to think she is totally adorable though.
- Fetish Fuel: Liliane Bougainville, even her icon is cleavage.
- Glasses Pull: Saki here.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl : Saki and Conroy do mercenary work as a team. She's a petite samurai girl. He's a 6'7" giant of a soldier.
- Loners Are Freaks: Kind of a subversion. The only thing freaky about Flore is her imagination. Other than that she may be competing with Chloé for Only Sane Man
- Meganekko: Greatly exploits this as almost every female character in the strip wears glasses. Clementine being the most litteral use of the trope.
- Only Sane Man: Chloé has some weird friends.
- Pointless Band-Aid : Saki always has one of those on her left cheek. There's also a less noticeable one on her left knee as well. There is no in-universe reason for either of them.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Gaia may be a subversion of this but it is too early to tell.
- Shrinking Violet: Clementine definitely qualifies. She has no confidence, considering herself too tall and forgettable, and blushes everytime someone talks to her.
- Sunglasses at Night : Liliane keeps hers on all the time. They kinda fit seeing as she's the head of some secret agency, but she also wears them when she's casually hanging out with her sister and friends.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Chloe and Marie-Neige, the former an easy going short haired girl always seen wearing jeans and T-Shirts while the latter is much more feminine, with long hair and girlier tastes in clothing. The two have been best friends since grade school for some reason.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Mostly subverted with most of the cast, who all have relatively normal hair color. Played straight with Gaia, who has bright green hair, but lampshaded by the fact people in-universe do take notice of it. Saki also has dark blue hair, but the only one to mention it is Gaia.
- Yuri Fan : Marie-Neige enbodies this trope. She has various posters of yuri heroines on her walls, reads yuri fanfiction, ships anime characters as a hobby and has a dakimakura of her best friend Chloé in her underwear lying on her bed. She doesn't seem to be ashamed of it in any way, and openly hits on every pretty girl she meets.