Distillum is a webcomic series created by Sarah "Pickles" Dill, and it can be found here
or on Pickles' deviantArt
For as long as he can remember, Rob Gallo has always had a strange ability to find lost things, a "kind of clairvoyance" as the narrator, Rob's roommate Jamie Cris, points out. One night, when Jamie drags rob out to the bar, they bump into a young woman (or rather, she bumps into them
) on their way there. When leaving, they see the woman's purse on the ground, and go to find her, saving her life in the process. Sometime later, they meet Sidney, a mysterious woman with a bad temper, who is infuriated, because Kavitha, the young woman, should have died that night, and her living messed up the entire timestream. Together with Sidney, the three of them help Sidney fix the time anomalies that continue to crop up.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Kavitha, though her name is Indian.
- Art Evolution: The art from chapter one is quite a bit different than the art in chapter 4.
- All There in the Manual: Extra facts about the characters, such as birthdays, are mostly found either on Pickles' deviantART or in the Cast page on her website.
- Anti-Hero: Sid is either a Type I or a Type III.
- Butch Lesbian: Rough-and-though Sidney states in chapter 4 that she's "not into dudes".
- Crash into Hello: How Kavitha meets Jamie and Rob.
- Cats Are Mean: Nina usually seems to subvert this, but she dislikes Kavitha because Kavitha is an anomaly.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh, Jamie. Sidney, too.
- Disappeared Dad: Implied in chapter 4 for Rob.
- Elegant Classical Musician: Rob and his cello.
- Face Palm: Sidney, on learning Rob and Jamie saved Kavitha's life.
- Foil: Jamie to Rob and Sidney to Kavitha. Sidney is also Rob's.
- Foreshadowing: Shortly after Rob saves Kavitha from the bullet, there's a minor Art Shift and shhhhh sound. Also, Nina hissing at Kavitha. Lampshaded in the artist comments about Rob's dad.
- Four Temperament Ensemble: with Rob as the Phlegmatic, Jamie as the Sanguine, Kavitha as Melancholic, and Sidney as the Choleric.
- Genre Savvy: Jamie, sometimes Sidney displays this.
- Green Eyes: Jamie
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Jamie and Rob.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sidney, at least according to Rose.
- Ms. Exposition: Sidney
- The Narrator: Jamie.
- The Nicknamer: Sidney never calls anyone by their real name. Jamie, for instance, has been called "blondie" and "cowboy", Rob "you", and she refers to Kavitha scornfully as "the anomaly" on a few occasions. Likewise, her grandmother is called Mamee, even in the tags.
- No OSHA Compliance: the abandoned building Kavitha is taken to.
- Psychic Powers: Rob and Sidney.
- Randomly Gifted: According to the diagram being a Distillum works this way.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Jamie and Sidney are both Red, while Kavitha and Rob display Blue traits.
- Shout Out: In the fake ending, we have Ten and the TARDIS, Bill And Ted, Marty McFly, and a Stargate. Sidney was not amused.
- In chapter 4, Jamie irritably informs Sidney that she's not Mr. Miyagi.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Well, now it is.
- Title Drop: Chapter 4