"You're never seeing me again."
Well, you did tell me to be honest.
Arron and Nick have been friends for about ten years. But after Nick's parents are hurt in a car crash, Arron takes Nick in and they start living as roommates. Wanting to cheer Nick up, Arron convinces Nick to make a vlog with him and put it on YouTube
. Being Lovecraft
fans, they call it Strange Aeons. However, the vlog quickly falls apart after Nick becomes depressed and antisocial, avoiding cameras at all times. Wanting to do everything he can to help his friend, Arron starts posting all the videos he took of Nick on the vlog channel, to create some form of documentation in case Nick were to seek help. He soon discovers that whatever was affecting him may have been more than just depression.
Strange Aeons is a recent entry into the ever-expanding Slender Man Mythos
, having started in early July 2012. Like most vlogs of late, it starts off with a few videos where not much happens, focusing on the relationship between Arron and Nick. But it soon takes a hard left turn into "what the hell is going on?!" territory, especially when Arron ceases being the only one contributing to the channel. Its YouTube
page can be found here
, along with
Arron's Twitter page
The story provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Where the hell are Arron's parents?! Couldn't they help him with finding Nick?
- It's justified with Nick's parents because, you know, they're seriously injured.
- Apparently Arron's parents haven't been watching his YouTube series. All they've heard about his situation was the news report of police calling off the search for Nick. He explained what was going on to them when they visited him in "Parents Weekend", but it seems like all they'll do is try to get Anna to contact him.
- Arc Symbol(s): Two glyphs have appeared in the series so far. What they mean, we have no idea yet.
- The Blank: When the Slender Man is involved, this goes without saying.
- Breather Episode: "Atlantic City". For the first time in weeks, Nick seems happy and healthy. At least until he goes for a glass of water.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Nick can swear a blue streak when he's mad.
- Daylight Horror: Almost the entire series takes place in the daytime. That makes it no less scary.
- Deadpan Snarker: Okay, maybe not deadpan, but Nick shows shades of this in "Interviews / The Phone".
Chris:"Nick, if you need anything, call me."
Nick:"How can I call you if I don't have my phone?!"
- Face-Heel Turn: Happens to Nick from when he leaves Arron, climaxing in murdering Chris.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: If you pause at the right time in "SA Vlog #6", you can see a familiar face peeking out the castle window.
- Foreshadowing: We find early on that Nick has "found a teacher." It's later on that we learn that that teacher is John, the same guy who wants to kill the Slender Man.
- Genre Savvy: Arron is a big fan of the Slender Man Mythos. He has tried multiple times (unsuccessfully) to get Nick into the fandom.
- Arron also showed Artie Marble Hornets after "no he didnt" was posted to get her up to speed with what he thought Nick was trying to fake in the video.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Nick and Arron have been friends for at least ten years.
- Apparently Nick and Chris have been very close. At least until Nick embarks for the woods.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: The legs behind the curtain in "Compilation" don't move until the end of the video. But at that point, the audio burst distracts you from noticing them.
- Hostile Show Takeover: The man in the jumpsuit has posted videos on Arron's channel several times.
- Interrupted Suicide: We learn in "welcome home" that Arron's mother stopped Arron from cutting his wrists open just in time.
- Jump Scare: When Slendy appears behind John in "seeing me again".
- When Arron finds the source of the noise in "Video Note 3 - Personal".
- Kill the Ones You Love: Nick kills Chris, his best friend.
- Meaningful Background Event: Check out the top of the curtain at the end of "Compilation".
- Mind Screw: You'll more often than not have no idea what's going on when watching the series.4
- Minimalist Cast: There's a total of nine characters, five of which have had recurring appearances.
- No Fourth Wall: Arron and Nick have frequently interacted with fans of the series.
- It was in fact a fan's tweet to Arron that tipped Nick off to the "documentation" videos.
- Note to Self: Arron is found dictating a video note to himself, collecting his findings after watching the jumpsuit man's videos in "Video Note 3 - Personal".
- Among his ramblings is his realization that "no he didnt" takes place during a night and "seeing me again" takes place during the following day.
- Police Are Useless: Sometime after "SA Vlog #5", Arron called the police to report Nick missing. So far, nothing has come up.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Luke, the co-creator, really is in college in Boston.
- Sanity Slippage: Nick started talking to himself and compulsively drawing before he went missing.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: One that even references Seinfeld, in "Compilation".
- The Slender Man Mythos: Yup.
- Smash Cut: In "SA Vlog #5", which turned to out to be footage that Arron took and later uploaded in "Addendum".
- Also in "SA Vlog #6". The clip hasn't been explained yet.
- The trend continues in "Happy Birthday Nick.". Jumpsuit Guy is definitely up to something. To explain further we see clips of him cutting his own hand with a knife, sitting on some staircase.
- And in "Parents Weekend", we get about half a dozen clips of Nick!
- And it turns out these clips were footage from "Interviews / The Phone", posted over three weeks later.
- Tempting Fate:
Artie: If you're sure there's no Slender Man, then...
Arron: Well, of course there isn't. We can operate on that assumption, right?
- Things That Go Bump in the Night: A door slam and a whisper in "Atlantic City".
- Those Two Guys: Nick and Arron.
- Tranquil Fury: Nick refuses to speak throughout "Friend" even when he's choking Chris to death.
- Unreliable Narrator: Possibly Arron. He claimed that he couldn't see the clips in which the Slender Man makes an appearance, but suddenly could after "no he didnt" was posted.
- Urban Legend: Arron says he believes the Slender Man to be this in "'no he didnt' Talk".
- Wham Episode: "Addendum" shows that Nick is more disturbed than we thought. And that he's in so much more danger than he knows.
- "The 'Missing' Posters" shows something leaving its mark on a blanked-out missing poster of Nick.
- "no he didnt" is a seemingly inexplicable clip that is filmed by neither Nick nor Arron. But whoever did film it, has the same pursuer as Nick.
- "didnt mean to" is another video by the guy who uploaded "no he didnt". We see that he is clad in some sort of jumpsuit as he emerges from the forest. He pours a ring of salt around the entrance to a bus stop, for unknown reasons. Whether he meant to or not, he's teleported away when he stops to rest.
- "seeing me again" is the whammiest episode yet. Jumpsuit Guy wakes up the next day in the same place he started in "didnt mean to". He finds the ring of salt dissolved by water and a glyph marking the floor of the bus stop. He runs until he reaches the front of a building. He then marks the railing around a sunken window with the same glyph seen in "The 'Missing' Posters". Then we hear a faint voice coming from the window. Nick's voice. From the clip in "Compilation" and in real time, right after Arron and Nick filmed "SA Vlog #1". THIS IS ARRON'S HOUSE. And THEN we see him pour a ring of salt around the entrance, only for Slendy to appear right behind him.
- Wham Line: "Well, you did tell me to be honest." has been used twice so far in two very whammy, VERY different contexts. The first time the line is uttered introduces audio distortion, making it known that Strange Aeons is a Slender Man series. The second time, we suddenly understand when the Jumpsuit Guy videos take place and exactly where he was the whole time.
- What the Hell, Hero?: If "Fuck you Arron" is any indication, Arron posting the "documentation" videos was seriously bad.
- Those same videos were brought up by Nick again in "Interviews / The Phone". He is seriously pissed off.
- You Do NOT Want to Know: Nick warns Chris to not look up the videos in the Strange Aeons channel after he asks about them in "Interviews / The Phone".