Web Video: Sinnlos im Weltraum
Sinnlos im Weltraum
(Pointless in Space
) is a German Language Gag Dub
of Star Trek: The Next Generation
. Created from 1995 to 1997
by Peter M. and a changing cast consisting of his friends, providing additional voices
, it has by now reached a legendary status
within the German internet community, spawning several Spiritual Successors
Like its source material
, it chronicles the adventures of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his crew on the USS Enterprise
- except that Picard is dangerously violent
, Riker incredibly stupid
, and Worf overly child-like
, to name just a few of the deliberate Character Derailments
the humour mainly relies on.
The lip sync is often incredibly good for an amateur work.
Sinnlos im Weltraum features examples of:
- Accent On The Wrong Syllable: Some of the guest characters do this, combined with Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness.
- All Women Are Lustful: All female crew members seem to be horny all the time. Might have something to do with the fact that all the males consider them unattractive.
- Deadpan Snarker: Picard.
- Catch Phrase: Several.
- Riker: Raff ich net. (I don't get it.) and Ich will auch mal der Captain sein. (I want to be Captain too.)
- Geordi: Oder wie oder was? (see Verbal Tic)
- Worf (and apparently Klingons in general): Ihr seid alle so bös! (You are all so mean!)
- Camp Gay: Daniel (Q)
- Character Derailment: Deliberate. The main source of humour.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: All voice actors are male, so this is the case for the female characters by default.
- German Humour
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Counselor Troi tends to be called the Kanzler (Chancellor). This is no allusion to Angela Merkel though, SiW was created long before her election.
- Man Child: Worf.
- Must Have Caffeine: Picard is crazy about black hot coffee.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: This is how the popularity of SiW started, before internet distribution was a viable option.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: In spite of being an android, Data can't even perform the simplest mathematical procedures (like adding together single digit numbers) correctly.
- Reclusive Artist: Not much is known about the creators. Fans managed to make contact to only a few. Perhaps this is an Old Shame to some of them.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Some of the guest characters do this, combined with Accent On The Wrong Syllable.
- Spiritual Successor: Lord Of The Weed, as well as the Harry Potter Gag Dubs by Coldmirror.
- Talking to Himself: Often the case, given that there were only three voice actors maximum at the same time.
- Techno Babble: Although the dialogues are much more silly and colloquial than in the source material, this trope also gets parodied sometimes.
- Too Dumb to Live: Riker!
- Trademark Favorite Food: Gummi bears for Worf, hot black coffee for Picard.
- Trope Maker: For Gag Dubs, as least as far as the German Language internet is concerned.
- Unbuilt Trope: What is so special about a Gag Dub, you may ask, there are TONS of these in the Internet. Keep in mind that this one was already created in the Nineties, only using a plain old (well, at that time cutting edge) VCR. It was initially just for the personal pleasure of the creators, with no plans for further distribution, internet or otherwise.
- The Unintelligible: The female Cardassian.
- Verbal Tic: Geordi's Oder wie oder was? (Or how or what?)
- Violence Is the Only Option: Picard threatens just about everyone to beat him or her up. (Due to the restrictions given by the source material though, we never see him actually doing this.)