Visual Novel: Bliss Stage: Love Is Your Weapon
Bliss Stage: Love Is Your Weapon
is the official Visual Novel
adaptation of the Tabletop Roleplaying Game Bliss Stage
, by Ben Lehman's imprint, These Are Our Games.
The game is being produced by Perpetual Motion Games.
A public demo was made available on the official website at BlissStage.com
on July 23rd, 2012.
The main discussion thread on Lemmasoft is here.
The story expands on the events and characters from the one-shot, Final Act, published in the first edition of Bliss Stage
. It follows the adventures of Josh Preston,
the newest pilot of The Treasure Island Resistance
and son of its Magnificent Bastard
Commander, Jim Preston. They are fighting a losing battle again an Alien Invasion
by the Nightmares, a race of Eldritch Abominations
from a dimension adjacent to our dreams.
His weapon? The ANIMa
, a reverse-engineered alien device
that creates a psychic manifestation of his intimate relationships
. But time is running out for him... Bliss happens, and if he drags his feet too long, or acts like a Jerk Ass
, he is going to either die messily
or fall to the Bliss
In addition to the tropes from the main Bliss Stage
page, this game and its characters provide examples of:Dev Team
GameplayJoshua Castellano Preston
- Author Appeal: If a certain writer is in charge of a given character's dialog, this is probably part of the reason.
- Not to mention the character designer openly admits to a fetish for scars.
Anna LinMeredith Odetta BakerKeenan Caine
- Ace Pilot: A mix of Steamroller and Bushwhacker on most paths. He rolls over your blind spots, especially when he manifests Anna Lin as the Sun-Tzu Tactical Matrix.
- Deadpan Snarker: this is his general response to adversity, especially on Practical paths.
- Expy: Sort of; it depends on the path. He's based on Shinji on Sensitive paths, Simon on Idealist paths, and Setsuna on Practical paths.
- Hot-Blooded: On Idealistic paths.
- Military Brat: Considering that the Colonel is A Father to His Men - literally in his case...
- Momma's Boy: which helps to explain his submissive tendencies.
- Race Lift: Joshua Preston from the Bliss Stage Canon main rules was of unspecified race. Josh Castellano Preston specifies it as Irish and Colombian.
- Translation Convention: Everything Joshua understands is 'printed' in English, but the voice actors will actually speak it in the language it's intended to be. Joshua knows Spanish at the start of the game and picks up some other languages.
- Uke: For all his bluster, he's pretty goddamn submissive in relationships to begin with. And then you just had to go on the Derek Smith path...
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Averted on the paths where he actually talks with Colonel James Paul Preston, but on the others, his Shinji is showing.
- Ace Pilot: Sniper-type.
- The Big Easy: He's from New Orleans, a lifetime ago: his childhood reminiscences have that kind of flavor.
- Chivalrous Pervert: And how.
- Glass Cannon: He has a lot of low-Trust, high Intimacy relationships at the beginning of the game.
- Handsome Lech: What Josh starts out thinking of him as: the fact that Anna agrees, having been on the receiving end of his charm, doesn't help.
- Hollywood Voodoo: His ANIMa is named the Chevalier Du'Samedi, and a lot of its attacks have a cinematic Voodoo style. Keenan himself actually knows better.
- The Lancer: He's like this on most playthroughs; on the other hand, it is possible to piss him off or get pissed off by him.
- Let's Get Dangerous: The first time you see him, he comes off as a - well, as a carefree hedonist. On missions, though, he becomes deadly focused and laconic.
- Polyamory: It's why he's such a scary combatant in his ANIMa. Provided that he's sniping: Yukiko occasionally needs a reminder that Keenan loves her first and foremost.
- Punny Name: His ANIMa is named the Chevalier Du'Samedi.*
- Rebel Relaxation
- Scary Black Man: Played with. Josh doesn't like to admit that this is most of the reason his relationship to Sara gets under his skin, and both Keenan and Meredith will call Josh out on that.
"Josh? It's flattering, but don't do that in front of Hurf Durk again - pretending I don't know what it means bothers me."Gabriel Veramor Winter
Josh: "Sometimes you just can't see the trees for the forest, Gabby."
Gabriel: "I would say that's accurate, yes."
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She's a LITTLE better about this in front of her neighbors in the mission, but her natural tendency is towards wearing skintight clothes and very little of it.
- Let's Get Dangerous: She's very affectionate and affects being ditzy, and plays with her foes - until they threaten bystanders. Then you run.
- One Pilot Resistance: Literally as well as figuratively, at the beginning of the game; she's the protector of a community built on the ruins of the Mission District of San Francisco.
- Raised by Wolves: She didn't know her parents since even before the Bliss hit. Lampshaded:
Josh: "Were you raised by wolves or something?" Laura "Mulan" Porter
Joshua: Do you flirt with all the guys you meet?
Mulan: Well, not just the guys...
Keenan: What, is there anyone here who you think 'acts black?'
Yukiko: ...Mulan? Derek Smith