Videogame / Out Of Hell
A first person survival horror
game set in the fictional town of Grinwood
. You play a cop from a neighboring town named Donovan Ling, sent back to his old stomping grounds to investigate a garbled transmission from the Grinwood Police. Upon arrival, the entire town is burning, barricaded, and overrun with zombies. Things go downhill from there.
A complete total conversion
for Unreal Tournament 2004
, it was made almost entirely by one guy
over the course of seven years with a professional musician providing the soundtrack.
Can be attained here
Tropes in this game include:
- Always Night: Averted, a nice change for a zombie game. While there are nighttime sequences, you spend much of the first half of the game in a bleary, cloudy autumn daylight, and part of the second half takes place during the day, albeit heavily overcast.
- Apocalyptic Log: Mostly in the police station.
- Badass Normal: Donovan. He seems to get over the whole zombie thing fairly quickly.
- Chainsaw Good: Subverted. There's a chainsaw in the basement of the apartments, but you can't get to it.
- Distress Call: How Donovan wound up in this mess in the first place.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: Most of them, anyway.
- Fake Difficulty: Frame rates and level geometry are far more dangerous than actual zombies.
- Game Mod: Total Conversion type and pushes the UT2K4 engine to its limits. The current version is a vast improvement since the demo that was released before the full mod.
- Guide Dang It!: It's easy to get lost on some maps.
- Kill It with Fire: Averted. There's a note in the police station that states that use of fire is prohibited because the zombies just keep walking and burning everything they touch.
- Mega Corp.: Just one of the many possible causes of the zombie rampage.
- Nuke 'em: The Downer Ending.
- When Trees Attack: There's a reason the town is called Grinwood.
- Zombie Apocalypse: The plot.
- Zombie Gait: Averted in that the zombies tend to walk pretty quickly.