Ye find yeself in yon wiki page. Ye see a SCROLL. Behind ye SCROLL is a FLASK. Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS.
What wouldst thou deau?Videlectix Games, originating as one of the games demonstrated in Strong Bad's email "Video Games" in January 2004. Thy Dungeonman II was then released in April 2004 and Thy Dungeonman 3 in April 2006.
Contains examples of:
- Artistic License – Medicine: Played for Laughs. Percy the rat infects Thy Dungeonman with bubonic plague, and it's not portrayed particularly realistically. Thy Dungeonman doesn't get any symptoms before he suffers Critical Existence Failure 27 turns after infection. But don't worry; you can stave it off by eating moldy bread and cure it by getting it "sawed off".
- Back-Alley Doctor: Thy Dungeonman 2 has the Saw Doctor. When the player gets the plague, you can see him to have it "sawed off". He also gives you a sucker for being a good patient, which you can use to explode the Dongrel that's disguised as a sous chef.
- A Bloody Mess: Although getting ketchup from the sandwich shop in order to disguise yourself as the hag's deceased husband, it turns out to be a subversion since the "ketchup" is actually fake fake blood. Eating it will end in unpleasant results.
- Covers Always Lie: Parodied. For the first game (as seen on the page image), there's a cover with the title character holding a dagger. You never get to use one, although you do get points for typing "get dagger".
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Percy refuses to speak to you if you use "talk rat". You have to look at his name tag and address him as Percy in order to advance.
- Empty Room Psych: Quite literal in Thy Dungeonman 3, which has a room with absolutely nothing in it.
- Fat Bastard: The Fat, Fat Friar, particularly when you try to abscond with his stein
- Have a Nice Death: There's only three ways to die in the first Thy Dungeonman, note whereas the other two have quite a few messages for instances where you die.
- I'm a Humanitarian: If you take too long to escape from the Fat, Fat Friar's cauldron or you return to his monastery after escaping, he'll become closer to being the Fat, Fat, Fat Friar.
- Load-Bearing Boss: Parodied with a load-bearing flask.
- Meaningful Name: Mongrels, Longrels and Hongrels have a first-letter indicator of where to strike.
- One Steve Limit: One puzzle in Thy Dungeonman 3 has you go to a certain pub and seek out a man named Kigalonian. Several people go by that name in the pub, so choosing the incorrect Kigalonian can kill you.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: "This may kill ye a little", by Percy and you upon killing the Dongrel towards the end of the game. Because this was also Percy's line, he appears out of disgust and tries to kill you because of it.
- Press X to Die: In every game except the third, using the "die" command will cause you to do just that, complete with "That wasn't very smart." This command also works in Peasant's Quest.
- Rule of Three: The game won't let you "get ye flask" the first two times you type the command. You can finally do so the third time, upon which the dungeon ceiling will crush you to death.
- Sophisticated as Hell: The text in the games combines Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe with modern slang, leading to phrases like "Thou art hilariously dumb" and "Ye totally has the plague".
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: In Thy Dungeonman 3, attempting to kill a plot-important bird causes the bird to peck you to death.
- The Walls Are Closing In: Thy Dungeonman 3 has walls of spikes that smash the character if they are not stopped with the convenient bone lying around before 12 turns have elapsed.
- Winged Soul Flies Off at Death: If you make it to the seventh of the healer's questions, the plague sets in. You pass out and die, and a little Thy Dungeonman angel floats towards the ceiling.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Par of the course for the series.
- You Can't Get Ye Flask: Trope Namer, although it's more attributed to the original e-mail since the first game's message doesn't quote this verbatim. You can get ye flask in the first game if you type it in three times, however, the dungeon will collapse on you and you'll die. In Thy Dungonman 3, this forms the basis of the plot. You wind up getting ye flask in the end.
- You Dirty Rat!: Percy the rat in Thy Dungeonman II.