Video Game: The Story Of Red Cloud
The Story of Red Cloud is a mod of Terraria
created by Tim Hjersted and the Terraria
modding community. Unlike the original game, which was a Wide Open Sandbox
which played like a 2D Minecraft
, The Story of Red Cloud is a full Metroidvania
with a story. It draws inspiration from The Legend of Zelda
and especially Dark Souls
The hero, Red Cloud, was mistaken for dead and buried alive after his Doomed Hometown
was attacked by the goblin army of Attraidies
, the demigod Mindflayer King. When he wakes up, he learns that his parents have been killed and his wife has been kidnapped
. He then immedietly sets out to save his wife, and get revenge on Attraidies.
It can be found here
The Story of Red Cloud provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Let's see... we've got people with names like Michael, Aaron, Elisha, and Elizabeth... and then there is the hero, Red Cloud. Made even more egregious because Red Cloud, Michael, and Elisha are apparently brothers, somehow.
- Awesome but Impractical: Arrows of Bard, which do 500 damage per hit even without being boosted by the bow or your equipment and accessories, but are somewhat expensive to craft, and can only stack up to 10, which means giving up large amounts of vital inventory space just to hold a few. Meanwhile, other weaker arrows can stack up to at least 1000, and are found all over the place or can be crafted quite easily.
- Big Bad: Attraidies, the mindflayer king.
- Big, Badass Bird of Prey: The Rage, The Sorrow, and The Hunter.
- Dual Boss: First you are supposed to fight two Eaters of Worlds at once. Later is the Wyvern Mage and the Wyvern Mage's Disciple (who is basically a Wyvern with a ton more health). There is also the Lich King, who is a Triple Boss: he is assisted by his own Disciple (basically the Wyvern Mage, with different spells) AND a skeltetal Wyrm with a lot of extra health. Also, after defeating Attraidies, you get an item which simultaniously summons The Rage, The Destroyer, and Kraken.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Eye of Cthulhu, the Eater of Worlds, and The Wall of Flesh.
- Flunky Boss: A few of the later bosses will occacsionally summon other enemies.
- The Wyvern Mage can summon cursed skulls, two at a time.
- Kraken can summon cursed hammers, two at a time.
- Attraidies can summon two Mindflayer Servants at a time (which aren't much of a threat, and should go down in a couple attacks), and also Mindflayer Illusions (which make the fight a lot harder until they are killed. Thankfully, he only summons one at a time.)
- Enemies with Death: He has absolutely no relevence to the plot, though.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: The Dark Tower of Attraidies (AKA Sky Temple)
- Giant Space Flea From No Where: The four optional bosses, Death, Lich King, Marilith, and Kraken
- Infinity–1 Sword: Your father's sword, Excalibur.
- Infinity+1 Sword: The true form(s) of Excalibur, the Atma and Ultima Weapons (which are basically the same, except with different sprites and crafting recipes).
- There is also the Infinity Plus One BFG, Divine Spark. For details, look under Wave Motion Gun
- Marathon Level: The Shadow Temple/Temple of the Destroyer. At least you can unlock shortcuts along the way, and set temporary teleport locations!
- The Mole: Aaron
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Almost every single boss.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Well, you've found a way to kill the magically protected mole... too bad that Big Bad intentionally gave him that weakness because getting you to kill him was the only way to unseal the portal to a dimension filled with evil supermonsters like the Wall of Flesh, The Rage, The Sorrow, The Hunter, The Twins, The Destroyer, and The Machine, as well as The Corruption and The Hallow.
- Nintendo Hard: Even more so than the original game, despite the more powerful equipment and items.
- Shout-Out: Other than the ones already present in Terraria, Story of Red Cloud includes:
- Lich King, Marilith, and Kraken as optional bosses, plus Fighter, Red Mage, and Black Belt equipment,
- Cecil's Dark Knight Armor and Kain's Dragoon Armor, which are two of the best sets of armor in the game,
- Parasprites, as one of the enemies in the Hallow,
- Numerous items referencing Tolkien's works, such as the Arrow of Bard, the Bow of Eärendil, and Mirkwood Elven equipment,
- A Giga Drill,
- And probably quite a few others.
- Wave Motion Gun: Divine Spark, one of the weapons dropped by Attraidies. With its low magic cost, constant high damage, ridiculous range, instant hitting, ability to pierce through walls, and recoil which is useful for both flying and moving where you want easily when confused and/or slowed, it is possibly the single greatest item in the entire game.