Video Game: The Endless Forest
The Endless Forest
is an MMORPG
where the player is a deer in a forest, without goals or the ability to chat. Unique pictograms above registered deer's heads help to identify each individual. Players communicate with each other through sounds and body language. And that's all there is to it. You start the game as a fawn and play as one for 30 days before you mature into a stag. The entire time you run around in an endless forest
as a deer, rubbing against trees, braying/mooing, and emoting to other players. You can also cast "forest magic" on each other
, which changes pelts, masks, and antlers.
The creators (also known for The Path
) get a lot of feedback for the through the official forums, though it only gets any major updates maybe once a year. The community is very dedicated to the game, even going so far as to create in-game legends such as the Deermuda Triangle
, a triangle formation of three glitched (duplicated) rocks in which strange things are supposed to happen.
And did we mention that all the deer have human faces
You can find more and download it here
This series provides examples of:
- Action Bar
- Alternate Animal Affection: Deer can affectionately nuzzle each other.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: The pelts your deer can wear come in many colors. From peacock, to bluejay, to bright red and more.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude
- Animal Gender Bender: For those who roleplay and insist on playing as does there is a set of antlers called "Doe Antlers," which are little nubs. All the playable deer are still male, though.
- Animorphism: Into smaller animals.
- Attract Mode: When you make your deer lie down and leave the mouse idle for a few minutes, the game begins to pan around the forest. See Scenery Porn.
- Bambification: The deer are the only animals in the forest that can cast magic, and make any real changes to the environment. And the gods are deer.
- Bat out of Hell: It is possible to be transformed into a bat temporarily.
- Bug Buzz: One of the ambient forest sounds.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: You can be transformed into an adorable white rabbit temporarily.
- Cool Mask: Many.
- Cute but Cacophonic: The fawns are cute, but their call is just as loud as the adult deer. Something Awful once used this to their advantage during a long-ago raid on the game. Thanks this, the creators made it so the call gets quieter the more you use it consecutively.
- Diurnal Nocturnal Animal: You can be turned into a bat, and it is usually daylight in the forest.
- Emote Animation
- Endless Daytime: The forest is constantly in daylight except during certain events, like Halloween for example.
- The Fair Folk: The deer are the animal equivalent of this.
- Fertile Feet: One of the Twin Gods' traits.
- Flower in Her Hair: You can wear flowers on your antlers.
- Frogs and Toads: You can be temporarily turned into a frog with forest magic, and whenever you fall into the pond you turn into one.
- Ghibli Hills
- Hellish Deer: On Halloween a giant zombie deer summons fog and roams the forest, turning other deer into the same (albeit smaller and minus the fog).
- In Harmony with Nature
- Hazardous Water: When you fall in the pond you lose your pelt, antlers, and mask.
- Idle Animation: The deer shakes, scratches, and looks around when you leave it standing but idle.
- It's Always Spring: Most of the time it's spring, unless it's Halloween.
- The Lost Woods
- Magic Mushroom: Eating the mushrooms you see growing on trees gives you the ability to cast magic on other deer, giving them new masks.
- Letting your deer fall asleep in a circle of mushrooms will grant you the power to either shrink another player, or turn them into a small animal like a frog, dove, bunny, etc.
- Mighty Roar: All the deer can do this, and it is used as a ways of locating and calling other deer.
- Nature Spirit: The deer could be interpreted as this, the Twin Gods are this.
- Noisy Nature: The deer's calls, yet again.
- The ambience of the forest itself can also qualify as this, particularly with the constant croaking of frogs near the pond area.
- Ominous Fog: This fills the forest on Halloween.
- One-Gender Race: As of right now, there are no does. Later on they're supposedly going to be added as NPCs.
- Ruins for Ruins' Sake: There are ruins in the game, which once served a purpose, but are now just there to look pretty.
- Scenery Porn
- Speech-Impaired Animal
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: You turn into a frog in the deeper parts of the pond.
- Talking Animal: Averted. The deer cannot speak to each other, they can only sound out a call and use body language.
- Themed Cursor: The cursor is shaped like a leaf.
- Water Is Blue
- White Bunny: It's possible to be transformed into this.
- Woodland Creatures: You can be temporarily transformed into most of these animals, along with finding said animals scampering throughout the forest.
- World Tree: There is a giant tree in the forest which hums when you enter it.