Video Game: Populous
aka: Populous II
"Populous is, in many ways, SimCity with just a bulldozer."Populous is a God Sim, scratch that; Populous is the God Sim. Designed in 1989 by Bullfrog Productions (developers who also brought us Theme Park, Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper) under the leadership of a young Peter Molyneux (who later brought us Black & White and Fable). It saw the player taking the role of a deity that helped a primitive tribe of people into a powerful enemy to defeat the rival gods.
There are currently four main games, plus a few expansions :
- Populous (1989)
- Populous: The Promised Lands (1989)
- Populous: The Final Frontier (1989)
- Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods (1991)
- Populous II: The Challenge Games (1992)
- Populous: The Beginning (1998)
- Populous: The Beginning - Undiscovered Worlds (1999)
- Populous DS (2007)
This game series contains examples of the following tropes :
- A God Is You: The Trope Maker
- Bonus Stage: Complete the third game and you can take part in an over the top straight out battle called Armageddon.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Provided one of your followers is left on the map you'll still survive. Just don't expect to survive for long.
- G-Rated Sex: Two people walk into a house, and three people come out.
- Hide Your Children: They pop out of huts fully grown.
- Isometric Projection
- Spiritual Successor: Godus. Molyneux isn't coy about it, either.
- Terrain Sculpting: One of the TropeMakers for Video Games.