Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green
is a 2005 first person game that is a prequel to the movie Land of the Dead
. In it, you are a farmer who notices the Zombie Apocalypse
and travels looking for a safe place to call home. Eventually help clear out Fiddler's Green for Mr. Kaufman.
A Spiritual Successor
called Day Of The Zombie
was made using the same game engine. Gameplay is pretty much identical, with the exact same enemies and weapons, but with new levels and a new plot told through comic book panels.
This game contains examples of:
- Boom, Headshot: The fire axe, revolver, shotgun, sniper rifle, and assault rifle can kill a zombie with a single headshot. Headshots with any other gun only do normal damage.
- Down the Drain: A sewer level consisting of zombies dropping in.
- Elite Zombie: Zombies with melee weapons have more health, and are immune to headshots.
- Exploding Barrels
- Hitbox Dissonance: If you're playing the unpatched version of the game, the hitboxes are very messed up. Shooting a zombie in the head will often blow off one of their arms instead, etc. Since the company folded and the patch is no longer officially hosted, this can be a problem.
- How We Got Here: The game starts with Jack the farmer on the top of Fiddler's Green, and then flashes back to him on the farm seeing his first undead.
- Joke Item: You start the game armed only with your fists. They do no damage, although you can knock a zombie down with the secondary attack.
- Lethal Joke Item: The kung-fu fists are so powerful(& fast firing) they are also a Game Breaker. After finding them in a closet in your murdered neighbor's house, the game becomes a breeze, even with mods that add several thousand zombies, or turn your character into a One-Hit-Point Wonder. After getting the kung-fu fists, the only difficult mission is "Heavy Gunner", because you are given a minigun and must use it instead of the kung-fu fists.
- Lost in the Maize: A scene involves running through a cornfield, hearing zombies crashing around unseen.
- Mercy Kill: While escaping the mainland on a boat, Otis realises his zombie bite is turning him into a zombie. He begs Jack to kill him before he turns into one of them. You can either honor his request, or wait for him to turn (at which point he'll attack you)
- Minimalist Cast: Due largely to the game's small budget. Only 4 human characters appear in the entire game; Jack (our Hero), Otis (a trucker who he teams up with for a couple missions), an unnamed Doctor who turns into a zombie after a couple levels, and Kaufman (the main human villain of Land of the Dead). Only Jack and Otis are voiced, with Doc and Kaufman's dialogue being provided by Jack in the form of a narration.
- Multi-Mook Melee: The game's co-op mode is a survival/barricade scenario against an endless horde of zombies. It noteably pre-dates both the Horde mode of Gears of War and the Nazi Zombies mode of Call of Duty.
- Not Using the Z Word: Various terms for zombiues are bandied around ("flesh feasters", "awakened dead", and "soulless walkers") but not the big z-word.
- Short Range Shotgun: Shotgun pellets disappear once they've cleared about ten feet from the muzzle; anything outside that range won't be hit at all.
- Title of the Dead: Inherited from its licensed source.