"Why don't we have a killer party tonight?"Killer Bear
is a 2005 Japanese RPG Maker game created by Nekofurosiki.
You play the role of a young boy named Mike who goes to his friend's house for a party. Everyone's having a fun time until one of them tells the story of Killer Bear, a killer who's still on the loose...
An English translation was released in 2013. You can download it here
Killer Bear contains examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of Slasher films.
- Antagonist Title
- Big "NO!": Catherine's good at these.
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Ted's a smoker, and is willing to ditch the others to smoke in the bathroom.
- Dance Party Ending: End-F
- Dramatic Thunder: It starts raining shortly after the killer calls.
- Dwindling Party: It's a slasher-film parody after all. Played With: It is possible to save every single party member, and indeed this is required for End-A. On the other hand, having everyone killed is required for End-F.
- Evil Laugh: There's even a soundbite of one that plays at the start of each of the killer's calls.
- Evil Phone: The killer announces their presence by calling the party goers. Near the end of the game, they call again.
- Fan Translation: Korean, English, and Spanish versions are available.
- Fat Best Friend: Dave
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Moby, but only in the 'Killer Moby' ending.
- Genre Blind: Pretty much everyone.
- Guide Dang It: If you're trying for End-A. For instance, the game gives no indication that you regain control right after Dave gets scared and can block the exit, or that you can move when it's pitch-black.
- Heavy Sleeper: Dave, to the point that he can sleep right through Moby getting killed if he's still alive at that point.
- Heroic Mime: Lampshaded in End-F, when a not-dead Ted laughs that "[Mike]'s speechless!!"
- Kill 'em All: Zig-Zagged with Endings F and G.
- Killer Teddy Bear: The Killer Bear's mask looks like the head of one.
- Last-Second Ending Choice: Three examples:
- How Mike responds to Killer Bear asking if he wants to save his friends determines whether he gets End-B or End-C.
- On the End-D/-E path, choosing whether or not to hand over the gun determines the killer's identity.
- End-F and End-G hinge on whether Mike leaves the bedroom through the door or through the window.
- Laughing Mad: Moby in End-E.
- Let's Split Up, Gang
- Lights Off, Somebody Dies: Can happen twice, depending on your actions.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: End-D uses this to reveal Mike is a murderer.
- Motive Rant: In End-E, Moby declares he was bored of their peaceful lives and called in Killer Bear for some excitement.
- Multiple Endings: There are seven different endings:
- End-A: One Bear's Trash... Everybody Lives, and Killer Bear flees, ditching their mask in the yard. Bill and Cain's father comes back, finds it, and yells at his sons for leaving the place such a mess and staying up late.
- End-B: Guns Blazing. After Mike tells him he wants to save his friends, Killer Bear lets him leave. As he runs out of the house, Killer Bear proceeds to kill everybody else left inside.
- End-C: Lost Consciousness. When asked if he wants to save his friends, Mike says he doesn't care for them. Killer Bear immediately attacks him.
- End-D: Killer Mike. Though Moby begs him to hand over the gun, Mike shoots him, then heads into the bathroom, where he sees Killer Bear's mask as his reflection.
- End-E: Killer Moby, where Moby's working with Killer Bear in order to finally get some excitement into his life. After explaining all this to Mike, he shoots him, then goes to face his partner and gets killed himself.
- End-F: The After Party...?. The whole set-up's one big prank on Mike, but when Bill calls out Killer Bear/Georges, he appears to shoot them all dead. Mike hides in a bedroom, but comes out when called and discovers it's all part of the prank. Even as they're celebrating, though, the real Killer Bear appears outside...
- End-G: Dirt Nap. Cornered in the bedroom, Mike jumps out the window to his death.
- No Range Like Point-Blank Range: How Mike dies in End-E.
- Scary Surprise Party: Played with in End-F and End-G. After revealing the whole thing was a prank, Bill calls out their special guest Killer Bear... who promptly shoots everyone but Mike, who runs upstairs and barracades himself in a bedroom. This can lead to Mike learning this was all part of the prank... or winding up dead.
- The End... Or Is It?: End-F, courtesy of the real Killer Bear showing up at the end.
- Token Minority: When listing off potential first victims, Killer Bear refers to Tracy as "the token black girl."
- Villain Protagonist: Mike turns out to be this, according to one ending.
- Violation of Common Sense: To get End-F, Mike must willingly open the door and come out of the bedroom when Killer Bear calls for him, despite having witnessed him seemingly gun down all his friends moments before.
- Weapon of Choice: Killer Bear is shown carrying around a bloody knife on the ending summary screen, but also has a thing for guns.