Video Game / I Wanna Be The Fangame
I Wanna Be The Fangame
is a spinoff of I Wanna Be the Guy
made by Tijitdamijit and Matt. The final version was released March 9, 2010, but it is still under development. It has been submitted to Moddb and can be downloaded here
Being a fangame, most of the tropes from I Wanna Be the Guy
are present as well (but more so
), including Nintendo Hard
, One-Hit-Point Wonder
, Platform Hell
, Trial-and-Error Gameplay
, Spikes of Doom
and the like.
- Advancing Wall of Doom: After defeating Stickykeys, you better RUN!
- One happens after you deal with the giant chest in the Alex Kidd path, and you can never outrun it. You have to turn left, and you'll wind up on the other side of the screen.
- Auto-Scrolling Level: Seven of them. It actually warrants a list now.
- The Stickykeys Chase: one of the three compulsary FSLs in the game, has you chasing Stickykeys/running from the lethal left wall. This is extremely hard, due to movement being limited to about 1/6th of the screen length, and you only run as fast as the screen. If you fall even slightly behind, you die.
- Mecha Dragon: You get chased by a robot dragon in two directions. It is indeed in the final game, hidden in a secret.
- Mecha Dragon AGAIN! He's in two different secrets, this being the second one. It is absolutely FILLED with Spikes of Doom. Thankfully, this time he only goes in one direction. But then YOU have to go back through all those spikes...
- Eversion: You can Evert in the Mario segment, causing you to have to run away from a wall of decay and avoid Hands of Doom.
- Bat Point: A save point labeled "BATS" starts off a scrolling level with enough Goddamned Bats to fill 20 games.
- Escape Sequence: Self explanatory.
- Trial 5: The scrolling level makes the first one look like a pleasant walk through the park on Sunday. The final one of the hidden Trials shrinks the screen to a tenth of the size, autoscrolls, is dark, gives no inclination of the upcoming obstacles, goes slow enough to severely hinder two of the jumps, reverses direction twice, and on the second reverse, it randomly places a huge, indistructable enemy in your way. And the place is CRAWLING with Spikes of Doom.
- Bonus Boss: Mecha-Spaghettio and GLaDOS.
- Bonus Level Of Hell: The new Hell Zone.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: One of the most brilliant examples of this comes into play in Trial 4 in the Hall of Trials. There's only one interesting feature in the room: the Lag Spike. It's a spike with Lag written on it that shakes so so so rapidly, the framerate can't keep up and it SLOWS THE GAME DOWN. That's right: it literally lags your game as much as possible to make it difficult.
- Bullet Hell: The Cacodemon from Doom gives it a go in the Alex Kidd path, but the Mecha-Spaghettio takes it Up to Eleven and then some.
- Cross Hair Aware: Inverted during the GLaDOS boss battle. You actually have to stand AT the crosshair to survive. Otherwise you get unexplainably killed by the black box.
- Easter Egg: Apparently, the developers weren't expecting you to get to the right of the spike-filled room in the Call Back to the original game. If you do, you get a grey room with the text "WTF! How the F*ck did you get out here"◊.
- Enemy Mine: Pac-Man and the ghosts team up to get you.
- Fake Platform: Here and there, but it gets pretty severe in the final level.
- Flipping the Bird: The final eversion hand flicks you off if it kills you after you evert back.
- Fun with Acronyms: IWBTFG could also stand for I Wanna Be the Fucking Guy. Considering that game...
- Gainax Ending/Papa Wolf: You get murdered unavoidedly by the final boss's father at the end of the game. However, there is a tantilising Demo Wall at the final room, indicating this won't be the true end.
- Correct. This was only true in the beta. In the final version of the game, this doesn't happen.
- Goomba Springboard: Literally. Goombas are the only way to reach otherwise unreachable platforms at some points (but it becomes a huge liability later on).
- Heroic BSOD: Likely to happen to anyone who plays this.
- 100% Completion: 11 Secret Items. All hidden in true 8-bit style, and all there to PISS YOU OFF.
- Let's Play: Several. OverTheGun's one is arguably one of the funnier ones.Flairina's, though without sound, goes through the game fairly quickly and shows off most of the traps. Their channel also has links to some of the newer secrets and how to beat them.
- MegaUltraJMan also has a notable rage-inducing one, similar in vein to his I Wanna Be the Guy Let's Play (though by the end of this one it's quite obvious he at least preferred IWBTG over this game, which he bashes as being "poorly designed" and chews out Tijit several times). Also notable for leading to him creating I Wanna See You Suffer as a result.
- This was just one among the dozens of IWBTG fangames that Rawrzaur LPed back in his days as ZeroMegamanX.
- Luck-Based Mission: The fight with GLaDOS, once you reach phase two.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Lampshaded in the Pokémon duel, which displays your stats as level 1 with 1/1 hit points, dropping to 0 when you die.
- Point of No Return: Somewhat. God help you if you're fairly new to the game and accidentally stumble upon a bonus room or the trials. There's (usually) no going back until you beat it if you save there.
- Poison Mushroom: One of the most hilarious examples, in the Mario section. Getting it causes the kid to grow so huge he explodes.
- Sequel Difficulty Spike: Although it's not technically a sequel, this game is widely acknowledged as being even harder than I Wanna Be the Guy.
- Shout-Out: Lets see: Mario, Pacman, Bubble Bobble, Doom, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Portal, Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy "Destruction 2" and the original IWBTG. Also, in a non-retro-game shoutout, Eversion (see Nightmare Fuel).
- Take That: The middle of the boss fight against Blue is against a Pikachu that hardly puts up a fight at all compared to the other five Pokemon on his team.
- Thanking the Viewer
- Under the Sea: Bizzarely, the Water Level in the game (which is is usually the most irritating level in other games) is actually one of the most fun levels in the game, especially the boss.
- Up to Eleven: Did you think the original was hard? Hoo boy, are you in for a shock...
- Wall Master: Piranha Plants.
- Womb Level: When you fight Bubble Bobble, you have to enter it and destroy it's Uvula to advance. The rest of the level to the Level Hub is through it.