Video Game / Hedgewars
is a Freeware
artillery game in the vein of Worms
, where you control a team of hedgehogs against other teams, both armed to the teeth with weapons ranging from a relatively normal bazooka to stuff like grand pianos, drillbomb air raids and demonic grenades. Teams, the hogs themselves, maps and gamemodes can be customized as you see fit, and you can play solo against an AI, a hotseat game, or online.
It's mostly finished, but there's content updates every now and then, including missions, further customization and more.
Hedgewars provides examples of:
- Batter Up!: Doesn't do much damage, but it does send hogs flying all over the place. Plus, in this game, fall damage is surprisingly deadly, so smashing one straight up can be a valid option.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Just like in its inspiration, the sillier a weapon is, the deadlier.
- BFG: Energy version in the Sine Gun, which is as big as three hogs while meant for one, and the Ball Launcher for explosives, which isn't that big itself but has more than enough payload to compensate.
- Cast From HP: The resurrector utility allows living hogs to revive dead ones by transferring their health to them.
- Edible Ammunition: The Watermelon Bomb acts much like the Banana Bomb of Worms, the Old Limburger is so old it's poisonous to those near it, and the cake acts as wall-crawling dynamite.
- Evil Laugh: The Hellish Hand Grenade laughs demonically when it's about to explode.
- Your hogs also (try to) do one themselves when dropping off a nasty surprise for an enemy hog.
- Feathered Fiend: When the Birdy weapon is activated, a relatively large bird swoops onto the battlefield and grabs the hog who summoned it. At that point, the Birdy can be controlled like the Flying Saucer below, but instead of the ability to move underwater, the Birdy can drop poisonous rotten eggs on hogs below it.
- Flying Saucer: Acts kind of like a jetpack, but it can go underwater and take you nearly everywhere with proper control. Keyword being proper, it can get a little wonky.
- Freeze Ray: The Freezer is capable of freezing both the landscape and other hogs. This includes freezing the omnipresent instant-death water so it can be walked on.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Yep, just like Worms. Though the range is much shorter this time around, if you're using it in the exact same way as in Wormsnote .
- Guns Are Useless: ...well, in comparison, at least. Still, the Desert Eagle in this game barely qualifies as a peashooter, and almost any other weapon does more damage.
- Hammered into the Ground: Mallets. Hitting a hog with one while he's close to water will probably make him sink right through and into water.
- Kill It with Fire: The Hellish Hand Grenade, Napalm airstrike, Molotov Cocktail and Flamethrower all set significant parts of the landscape on fire, roasting any hog unfortunate enough to be caught inside the inferno. Crates and barrels tend to spread some fire as well.
- Land Mine Goes "Click!": Actually, these go beep, but that's just a detail. Depending on the gamemode, they can give you time to run, be a dud, or simply go boom if you so much as inch into range.
- Life Drain: The Vampirism utility turns a large percentage of almost all damage (except drowning) dealt during the turn it's used on into health or the activator.
- Piano Drop: It bounces with an explosion every bounce, too. One of your hogs has to play it as it falls, but it doesn't matter which, and it's probably the most destructive weapon this side of the Ball Launcher.
- Recoil Boost: The Sine Gun has more than enough recoil to send you flying over obstacles where a normal jump wouldn't do. Certan intrepid players have created maps where the entire point is to get around with the Sine Gun's knockback.
- Shoryuken: One of your few melee weapons.
- Sniper Rifle: With a laser scope included. Oddly enough, it does more damage the further away you are from the hog you shoot, and you need quite a bit of distance if you plan on doing anything significant.
- Stuff Blowing Up: But of course. Special mention goes to the Ball Launcher, which tosses out 50 timebombs at a time. It's messy.
- Super Drowning Skills: Just like Worms.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Sine Gun, which carves a large sine into the landscape, setting some parts on fire, sending any hog in the way flying, and knocking you back several feet.
- Wall Crawl: The Cake weapon sprouts robotic feet from its bottom that can walk along the landscape, even if it would be impossible for a hog to do so.
- Whip It Good: Another of the hogs' melee weapons.
- You Will Not Evade Me: The seduction utility allows the hog that's using it to become such a convincing crossdresser that other nearby hogs will leap towards the "female"... often to a watery or explosive death.